Roadking 1 - Neodymium Speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I just traded my Carvin ST300 (great guitar!) and 2 modified boss pedals for a Roadking Series I combo.
The combo has been modded by me in the past, and it sounds great.
But.....it weighs 100 pounds and I have to carry it up the stairs to my house.....

I have been thinking that I should replace the speakers with Eminence Tonkerlites. Or, possibly a Tonkerlite and a Lil Texas.
Anybody use these speakers? I'm wondering how they will sound in my amp.

I know it's only going to shave roughly 12-13 pounds off the amp, but every little bit will help.

Yo Bro!
Been awhile! Hope you are well. If its any help to you, I put a Celestion Century Vintage in my BA. I love the top and mid detail, but am missing low end. I have considered the Tonker Lite myself. I'm curious if you decide to go that route..let me know. Oh and BTW, the CV shaved about 12 lbs off the BA.. :mrgreen:

I ended up getting a couple, but they haven't arrived yet. I got a Lil Texas and Tonkerlite to mix together.
-12 pounds would definitely be a start! I have my first gig with the amp tonight and I'm not looking forward to loading it in my truck......It sounds really great though!

Hey, long time no hear!
I put two Lil' Texas in a Twin Reissue and am very happy with the sound at gigs.
From previous experience with neo's, I did think they might be too bright, and lack bottom, but they are working out great. Maybe having two makes up for less bass, but they are certainly in the Jensen C12K ballpark.
After changing out the speakers, and removing the "tube guard for dummies" and the tilt-back legs, the Twin lost 15 lbs. It's really not that much more than my stock Deluxe Reverb now.
The Tonkerlite is good, too, comparable but much more of a Celestion sound.
Next project is to put them in a couple Thieles and crank up the Mark III.

Right on, thank you guys! I used the RK at my band's first gig in almost a year last night. It sounds great with the C90's, but we had to carry it about 100 yards (across grass and sand) to the stage.
I just kept thinking about those new light speakers.......I should have them installed and broken in before our next gig!

Latest posts

Back