Road ready EV 4X12 cabinet - what year?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Reaction score
Picked up a fudgie cab, serial # c18807 looks late eighties. I am a happy, super happy guitarist. Also, for inputs it has 2 - 4 ohm jacks; either bi-amp or stereo and 1 - 8 ohm jack. Would 2 cords from the 2 4 ohm outputs be better than 1 cord from the 8 ohm output on the amp? I guess I should just try it tomorrow at band practice and find out. I can't find much information on this cabinet, but this is a dream come true for me, only I cannot lift this thing easily, heavy, heavy, heavy and it is smaller than a regular cab.

I just got off the phone with Mike at Boogie, he recommended the "helium mod" for my cabinet, said it would take like 452 pounds off of the current weight of 3,461 pounds. This thing is as heavy as a safe, good thing all bass players are born to be half-roadie. Pure heaven, and I've been made fun of for lugging around a Mk. IV w/EV. Best tone ever. 1987 San Dimas Jackson strat with Dimebucker - Bad horsie, Digitech whammy, TC hall of fame reverb, - MRX micro-amp in loop - Mark III no dot 5/85 105 tranny, spax in V1 & 3, =C= 6L6 quad - Road ready 4X12 EV. Lead drive 4.5 Holy Grailtone Batman! Slays everything imaginable! I'm sure that there are many, many guitarist who feel the exact same way. Here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/10282467656/

I have both an '89 and '91 2x12 halfbacks and your 4x12 looks more like the '91. Outlined logo and multi-plug input tells the story. The '89 has solid logo and single input jack.

Yours looks awesome! 8)

Here's your pic.
Nice road ready cab.

10282467656_70494a4fb3_z.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I ran the beast at 8 ohms and it sounded great. It can be run safely with two cords from the two 4 ohm outputs on the amp to the 4 ohm inputs on the cab, right? I'm assuming that is the proper way to run it if I wanted the whole town to hear it, whereas 8 ohm for regular times. I ask this question because I've been told I'm an idiot and couldn't find any information on the interwebs.

Markedman said:
Thanks for the help guys. I ran the beast at 8 ohms and it sounded great. It can be run safely with two cords from the two 4 ohm outputs on the amp to the 4 ohm inputs on the cab, right? I'm assuming that is the proper way to run it if I wanted the whole town to hear it, whereas 8 ohm for regular times. I ask this question because I've been told I'm an idiot and couldn't find any information on the interwebs.

You should be running the cab using the 8ohm input on the cab, and the 8ohm output jack on the amp. If you use the Two 4ohm jacks on the cab, you are running your amp at a 2ohm load - which can stress your output transformer and tubes.

Back