road king

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok... most people are going to look at my list of gear below... and go "WHAT THE ****???" However... I have never played through a 3-Ch Dual Rectifier, well I have, in the store, once, when I was testing out pedals. The amp was on Clean the entire time. Anyway, the difference between the 2ch DR and the Road King is vast. From what I've read though, its the same difference between and 2ch and a 3ch recto, so it ultimately it comes down to which DR.

For the 3ch DR, from what i've gathered, no.

The Road King follows all the same principles as the DR when you set the RK to 4x6L6. The only difference is that you've got a Reverb option (and for RK v2) better cleans.

In my opinion, you're better off going with either:
Option A: a 2-channel Dual Rectifier (I like my Rev G Recto because its better for the low-end grunge i play, but do your research. Maybe a Pre-500 would be better suited to you)
-or-
Option B: A Road King

Forget the 3-Ch Dual Rectifiers. They are such a nothing amp in the Rectifier family. They have absolutely nothing going for them which can't be obtained (but with more added possibilities) from either the Road King or Roadster

I have owned many recto amps, my take on the RKI is it sounds like a mix between a dual and a tremoverb with not as much fizz as the 3 channel duals have.

Areola said:
Ok... most people are going to look at my list of gear below... and go "WHAT THE f%&#???" However... I have never played through a 3-Ch Dual Rectifier, well I have, in the store, once, when I was testing out pedals. The amp was on Clean the entire time. Anyway, the difference between the 2ch DR and the Road King is vast. From what I've read though, its the same difference between and 2ch and a 3ch recto, so it ultimately it comes down to which DR.

For the 3ch DR, from what i've gathered, no.

The Road King follows all the same principles as the DR when you set the RK to 4x6L6. The only difference is that you've got a Reverb option (and for RK v2) better cleans.

In my opinion, you're better off going with either:
Option A: a 2-channel Dual Rectifier (I like my Rev G Recto because its better for the low-end grunge i play, but do your research. Maybe a Pre-500 would be better suited to you)
-or-
Option B: A Road King

Forget the 3-Ch Dual Rectifiers. They are such a nothing amp in the Rectifier family. They have absolutely nothing going for them which can't be obtained (but with more added possibilities) from either the Road King or Roadster

I am wondering how they different tonewise if they even do at all? Obviously the road king has many more options, but in particular how does the tone of the two lead channels differ? Are they essentially the same?

I think the Red Channel is designed more for solos.

However I use it the other way around. My channel 3 is set to fuzz overload so it kinda sounds like jumping on a Big Muff and my ch 4 utilizes the extra mid/highs to get a nice crispy crunchy tone.

Ok let me clear this up...
I have owned a dual rec, a road king 1 and a road king 2. Still have the RK 2 currently. There is a huge difference in the tones in channel 1 and 2 of the RK2 as opposed to the dual rec/road king 1. The RK2's channel 1 and 2 were modeled after the mesa boogie lonestar. The cleans are much more dynamic and full and have a slight fender'esk/vox feel about them depending on settings and guitar. They can get that nice bounce. The RK2's channel 1 and 2 are simply a whole lot better then the Dual Rec and RK1. Although not terrible, the RK1 and dual rec cleans are rather dry/sterile in comparison. As far as channel 3 and 4 of the RK, it is modeled after the dual rec with extra bells and whistles. With the progressive linkage you can get a whole slew of different sounds. If you want, It can be dialed in to sound almost just like a dual rec, but they leave that up to you. So yea, RK2 is the amp of choice for me.

Areola said:
I think the Red Channel is designed more for solos.

However I use it the other way around. My channel 3 is set to fuzz overload so it kinda sounds like jumping on a Big Muff and my ch 4 utilizes the extra mid/highs to get a nice crispy crunchy tone.

You see, I have always used my red channel for a really thick rhythm. I tend to lean to channel 3 for the mids during solo's unless its a heavier song.

Devon8822 said:
I am wondering how they different tonewise if they even do at all? Obviously the road king has many more options, but in particular how does the tone of the two lead channels differ? Are they essentially the same?

Are you talking the two lead channels on the road king in comparison to themselves or to the lead channels on a regular 3 channel DR?

I find on the RKs and Roadster channel 3 and 4 are very close to each other but you have more gain and bass on tap in channel 4.

Now in comparison to a regular 3 channel DR... i find the RKs and Roadsters to be somewhat smoother, less fizzy and can tend to sound a little dark in comparison to a regular 3 channel DR. The regular DRs have a little more bite and depending on how you dial them in can tend to be fizzy.

In my mind if you want a diverse amp with tons of tones, great cleans, great mid gain and high gain, and want the bells and whistles go with a Road King.

If you want everything above without the bells and whistles go with a Roadster.

If your only looking for a killer high gain channel look at the older, 2 channel DRs and TRs

And if you want something just as good but with a different type of high gain take a look at the Mark V... i just played on and its amazing.

Back