Road King

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloozman

Reaction score
After lotsa trouble with my LSS, the dealer has offered to replace it. I thought about a Road King...can anyone offer me some advice on this amp...I play the Blues...Albert..B.B. ..Kal David..Otis Rush..etc...Ive heard this amp is really versatile, and thusly Id like to try one out...Any reliability problems with it etc?...any advice will be greatly appreciated...Bloozman

Bloozman said:
After lotsa trouble with my LSS, the dealer has offered to replace it. I thought about a Road King...can anyone offer me some advice on this amp...I play the Blues...Albert..B.B. ..Kal David..Otis Rush..etc...Ive heard this amp is really versatile, and thusly Id like to try one out...Any reliability problems with it etc?...any advice will be greatly appreciated...Bloozman

Not to steer you away.. but this amp is a monster and if you only play blues it seems like channels 3 and 4 would go to waste on it. It also has a ton of tubes to replace when it's time, etc.

Seems a bit overkill for your playing style, but it's a great amp.

Definitely. It has some great tones that you could use in channel one and two, but three and four would mostly go to waste. Retube would be much more expensive.....maybe try another lonestar.....they're great amps, as are all Mesas....you could have always stumbled onto a bad one.

I have both the LSS and the Roadking head. (A Mark IV Combo too)

Don't give up on the LSS. Great amp. You may also wish to try a Lonestar Classic which has a wack more head-room.

They do the Blues and Classic rock so well.

The Mark IV is worth a try too. Sort of stuck right in the middle of those 2.

Back to the Roadking. Channel 3 can be set up very easily for a heavy Blues type grind. I think you would use it as a 3 channel amp quite well.

Plus channel 4 is there for whenever you need a Metallica fix.

brianf

Thanks...I hear the roadkings are hard to get anyway...maybe a LSC will do..gonna try one :D

Road Kings are pretty versatile, but I think it may be too much for the Blues and as mentioned above, unless you're doing some pretty "hard" blues, channel 3 and 4 are gonna be useless to ya.

But channel 1 and 2 may have some nice tones for you, especially with a Tubescreamer in front of it. I like the Brit setting with a nice meaty humbucker and the trebble and gain turned up all the way, not alot of distortion but a nice tone. If you want to hear the road king in action, you can hear a few clips on my little guitar site at: www.guitartest.moonfruit.com . go to the Road King clips page and give 'er a listen (excuse the playing).

Have you thought about an older boogie or the F-series? I hear the Mavericks and Blue Angels are nice for the Blues.

My good friend from way back..Kal David plays the blues, and loves his Maverick..I thought the LSS would be good, but it has NO headroom, and starts to breakup too soon for my tastes..To solve that problem, I play it at lower volumes and line it out thru a fender Tonemaster...The sound is great, but all that gear is a pain in the *** to haul around..If the LSC doesnt work out. Im gonna get a Fender twin and just use that..It has 100w switchable to 25...channel switching between clean and dirty etc..I played one, and they sound great..B.B. King and alotta other heavy hitters use the twin ..Thanks

Bloozman said:
My good friend from way back..Kal David plays the blues, and loves his Maverick..I thought the LSS would be good, but it has NO headroom, and starts to breakup too soon for my tastes..To solve that problem, I play it at lower volumes and line it out thru a fender Tonemaster...The sound is great, but all that gear is a pain in the *** to haul around..If the LSC doesnt work out. Im gonna get a Fender twin and just use that..It has 100w switchable to 25...channel switching between clean and dirty etc..I played one, and they sound great..B.B. King and alotta other heavy hitters use the twin ..Thanks

If you're looking for clean headroom check out some Dr. Z amps. The Maz and Carmen Ghia come to mind. Great clean headroom and a touch of hair if you want it.

I have a LSS 1 x 12 and a RK that I run thru a 2 x 12 3/4 cab.

-The best blues tones from the RK are indeed channels 1 and 2, but they are extraordinary. Imagine clean fender to tweed breakup to Marshall grit all at once. I don't know of another amp that will give you what the RK will give you out of channels 1 and 2. If you can find it, then you probably don't need the RK. LOTS of clean headroom on Channel 1 if thats how you dial it in.

-I get a good "Clapton Rivera" distortion tone from channel 3, but I don't use it much.

-Sometimes I use channel 4 as "super clean", but its not as sparkly as channel 1 clean- but it is sufficient.

- I agree 100% with you on the LSS 1x12 lack of clean headroom and that's exactly why I bought the RK. The LSS stays clean enough at low volume but I don't think there is enough clean headroom.

I use the LSS 1 x 12 for smaller venues but whenever I can, I use the RK. But that freakin' head weighs a ton.

Latest posts

Back