Road King Mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertcj

Reaction score
I am looking to mod my road king channel 2. Does anybody know the specs for the 590792 gain pot that is used in the Stiletto Deuce Stage II?? My goal is to get more gain out of my Brit channel.

as soon as i can get it done I will record some clips with it and post on here.

Thanks

Search this topic on the Board it's been discussed. The Mod has been thoroughly discussed I think. This does sound intriguing, I've realized how cool Stilettos are and would that kind of third high-gain channel.

I've tried searching for road king mod and here is all i get

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: king mod road.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

get to googling Chris, I wanna hear the mod

i.e. Google -> Road King mods site:forum.grailtone.com

edit: speel fail

desertcj said:
I have read through the post, and compared pot part #'s between the road king and roadster. The pots of the road king are different than the roadster, would this still work on the road king?? look 2 pages from the end on both manuals

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/RoadKing2_v2.pdf
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Roadster.pdf

You could do like I did and temporarily take the pots from you own amp, as long as the last three numbers match up, put those in channel 2, and see if you like it. What I did was spend about $15 and order some pots from Mesa to replace the ones I took out of the other channels. It should give you the same results like with my Roadster. Good thing is, there is absolutely no way of damaging your amp by switching pots. Just be careful with the capacitors and don't burn any wires. I think you'll be very pleased, and I can finally have someone to back me up on this mod! Just be sure to order RK pots and not Roadster, and you should be fine. By the way, I tried just switching the gain pot first, and it made a difference, but when the other controls matched as well, I was floored! I can't wait until I can get a Roadster or Road King again. (stinking economy)

Well, I did the channel 2 mod to my RK. There was a little more gain, but not as much as I was expecting. I seemed to lose my range on the tone controls too. Bass, mid, and presence seemed to respond very little. Treble responded more than the others, but very little. I ended up changing it back to the way it was. It just seemed like a waste of time for me. Maybe it works better on the Roaster, I don't know. It is a very easy thing to do, just didn't seem to be worth it at all for me.

My friend and I have been experimenting a little with different pots and as soon as i come up with something that i like i will record some clips and post them on here

Hi there !

As I hear about mod I Just wanted to share my experience with the road king and suggest an alternative.

I was able to get convicing british flavors doing the following :

I setup an almost clean tone in brit mode of channel 2 with EL34, Vintage 30 2x12 cab. It stays clean with single coils and edgyy with humbuckers.

For a good rock tone I stomp on a "Box of rock" pedal. For a little more, I stomp on a RC booster placed just before the amp input as an almost clean boost with a bit of gain. With the Box of Rock it gives a good mid-gain tone, for fluid soloing.

The benefit of all this is to keep a good clean on channel 2 with a brit flavor very different from channel 1 6L6 with JBL speakers clones.
With the Box Of Rock It keeps a lot of dynamic iit cleans up very welll with a the guitar volume so you can get an infinity of gain tones.

To avoid the stomp box dance, you can use a switching system to switch pedals on and off.

To my opinion, the RK is very intersting amp more because of cabinet switching and different power sections than for different gain structures proposed. You choose between the Marshall/fender dichotomy and then a few pedals can get you wherever you want.

Back