Road King II, Yummy...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyrexia

Reaction score
So, I work for a Boogie Dealer and we have had a couple guys waiting for a RKII to come in. Well, two days ago (three months after Boogie said six weeks, heh) it came in and tonight, I plugged it into a 1960B with GBs and a 1960A with 75s.

Good god, it kicked ***. I did not miss Vintage 30s, which are what we keep in most of the other cabinets (boogie included). The guy was playing a Suhr with EMGs.

Now, I have never heard a Road King before, except on recordings. I've played with a Roadster Combo a couple times, and while I was happy with it, I think the RKII's powersection really brings out the greatness.

The amp sounds AWESOME! I was very impressed. Set up Channel 2 with brit and 34s (how else) and got excellent british sounds. Everything else was about as I expected, but it just sounded great everywhere.

Really didn't have any complaints. I can't see anything else you would want an amp to to. I guess it doesn't do the Voxy thing but does any Boogie really do the Voxy thing?

I guess I'm not really bringing anything new to the table, but Mmm-mm it was a tasty new amp, I can't help it.

I am patiently wating for mine, ordered last week. But I went for the 2x12 combo...as I don't do the 4x12 thing...and will pair it up with a 2x12 recto cab when the situation calls for it.

It's the best amp Mesa has made to date....especially now that it has the LSC circuit in channel 1

I have to agree with all of you... The RK is an incredible machine.
I'm running a Series I RK 212 combo, and just keep discovering new things to smile about. I have heard a lot of talk about how hard to 'dial in' Boogies can be, but I've yet to have that problem. I turn it on, turn it up, and I'm away. Even the series I clean tones are good - I'm scared to try a series II! I'd probably wind up in the same cell as tele_jas... :shock:

Count me in. I think the RKII is Mesa's crowning achievement. And that's saying alot considering all the other great amps to come out of that shop. Once upon a time, I bought a Peavey JSX that I just loved. I still do. That was back when I owned several amps. The JSX was my main amp. When I got my RKII, I sold the JSX and any other amp I had at the time. The RKII is now my one and only. I still miss the JSX because, it never let me down and there was nothing I didn't like about it. I just couldn't justify having it when there was an RKII in the room.

Dave

I got the same setup as you jazz gear. I started with a 3 ch Trip Rec halfstack, but then my dad came in my room one morning and said you should get a RK combo so you can haul it easier. Took me 9 months to get mine cuz I ordered right at the genesis of the Series II notion. Compared to my triple and what I remember of it, it is much better. The cleans on the triple are very punchy, and I can get pretty dialed in on the RKII. I'm still new to being a big tone doctor but I'm gettin' better! I've been playin a lot on channel 4 vintage, playin' some allman bros leads with my LP STandard Faded. I should probably play them with my McCarty, since the tone of the pick-ups are allegedly modeled after the Allman album i've been listening to: Fillmore Concerts

Latest posts

Back