Road King II- Good Price?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzorge

Reaction score
What would we you consider a good price for a used Road King II Head in excellent condition?

How about a Roadster Head?

The Road King II v.2 is probably one of the least desirable amps on the market right now. Why? Here are my thoughts:
- The guitar market is geared towards pedals, pickups, and smaller amplifiers at the moment.
- A new one is expensive. That sticks in people's minds.
- Turning the amplifier on is not an intuitive process and it only gets more complicated as you go. The point being, 90% of people who play one in music store have a bad experience. Men also do not ask for help in these situations so clearly the amp sucks.

With that said, none of those things change the fact it is one of the most impressive amps ever made. A good price is anything between $1300 - $1900 in my opinion. Roadster heads seem to go for $1100 - $1500. I'm sure plenty of people have "stories" about how they paid a lot less...good for them...sometimes the stars align and sometimes people lie on the internet. I feel if you can get a $3000 amplifier for $1500, you did well. One thing to keep in mind though are the tubes; a complete set of Mesa tubes for a Road King II is over $300.

I have not seen a used Road King II or a Roadster for awhile though so I would wait for other opinions to be posted. :lol:

I bought my Roadster used at a Guitar Center for $1200 or $1300 (its been a few years), I have see used ones pop up as low as 1k but thats been fairly rare. I believe that a good rule of thumb is half the price of the amp new. As a side note. I love the roadster, its an amazing amp.

I see Roadking v.1's for 12-1400 but v.2's are less common. One's on GC Used right now for 1799. I'd bite if it was 15. Unfortunately Boogie killed the value in the v.1 by revising it. I couldn't even tell you if v.1's clean is all that bad compared to the v.2 as it's been so long since I played one. I'm not sure if they revised anything other than channel 1's clean.

skoora said:
I'm not sure if they revised anything other than channel 1's clean.

They also improved the Reverb and tweaked some low-gain modes a bit.

And they changed the back-panel layout in order to make it easier to read and understand (but removed the Triode/Pentode switch).

Latest posts

Back