Road King II + AX7

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashingchicago

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Road King II and noticed that there are no tubes in the AX7 slots -- is there supposed to be?

I have also heard many people switches out the tubes in their Rectifiers with something other than Mesa (EL34L's for example) -- has anyone else here done anything like that with the Road King II? What has the experience been? It seems to me, that the stock tubes in the RK and a bit more muddy sounding than I would like for some tones I am trying to achieve.

You can't see the 12ax7s because they have those removable metal covers over them. You can change brands of tubes in the Road King like going from Mesa to JJs or whatever. You CANNOT change the tube types though, like making it all EL34s instead of 4 6L6s and 2 EL34s. The amp is fixed biased so you cant change a 6L6 out for an EL34.

Cool, thanks. Well, since this head has both EL34's and 6L6's, I should be all set for trying out new types of tubes. I guess the nice thing would have been if there were more slots for EL34's as the RKII only has two slots available.

Anyone here found a good tube replacement for the 6L6's besides the Mesa provided ones?

Latest posts

Back