Road King FX loop #2 volume drop...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I tried using my FX loop this weekend and I couldn't figure out loop #2 (parallel loop)?? I was running a Delay unit and I didn't need it all the time, so I wanted to bypass the loop when I didn't need it....... I got the delay sounding perfect, but when I would de-activate the loop (via the footswitch), the volume would jump, alot! I tried messing with the send and return knobs in the back, but it never would equalize the difference in volume.... it was always a much lower volume with the FX loop on. It was almost like having 2 different "solo soost" functions is how big of a difference there was..

I gave up on FX loop 2 (ran out of time), so I used the serial loop #1 and it worked like I wanted without a noticable volume difference when on or off, but it was a little noisier.

Is there a way to to match the volumes? If it was the dealy pedal causing the volume drop, it should have more noticable in the serial loop....... So it is an FX loop issue.

Here are the settings I tried when using loop 2........

On my amp when using loop #2:
* I have the Loop active
* I'm running my main output knob about 3:30 - 4:00
* I tried the mix knobs on each channel set everywhere from 10% to 90%
* I started the send at 12:00 and the return ran about the same to start with and then adjusted each one to try to level the volume difference out, but no luck.

On my unit when using loop #2:
* Mix was at about 100%
* Speed and decay were both at about 4:00
* those are the only options I have on that unit.
* the only thing that changed when I used it in loop 1 is the mix was turned down to about 25%.

Any suggestions? I did try it in front of the amp, but it was channel sensitive (meaning each channel's delay sounded too different to be usable - too weak on one channel and way too much on the next), I couldn't bypass it from song to song or part to part either.

tele_jas said:
On my amp when using loop #2:
* I have the Loop active
* I'm running my main output knob about 3:30 - 4:00...

The amps master output? **** thats loud!!! (unless channel masters set VERY low). OK try this, noting I'm using a 3-ch Triple, but the parallel loop is basically the same as RK.

Loop *Active* but footswitched off

Turn channel master of your cleanest channel up until it just starts to break up, then back it off till clean again. Balance the other channel masters relative to this.

Take a short cord and connect loop2 send directly to return, set mix wide open 90 or 100% whatever it is. Adjust send level till there is little or no difference in vol when footswitching loop2 in/out (will probably be around 1:00)

Now reconnect your delay (set 100% wet) and adj mix on amp till its how you like, and use the amps master out as volume. If this doesnt work, your amp and delay just dont get along so use it in the series loop.

* I'm running my main output knob about 3:30 - 4:00...

The amps master output? **** thats loud!!!

You're right, that would be pretty loud.... I guess I forgot how to tell time on that setting.......

I meant to put I run my master output at about 9:30 - 10:00. Thats a little different, isn't it?

My dislexia (sp) kicked in, sorry :wink:

What delay unit are you using? Sounds like you need to turn up the output of the delay unit, but if you don't have that option, there is not a whole lot you can do about it.

I've actually tried a couple different units.... One was a 1/2 rack space BOSS delay unit and the other was one of those cheap Danelectro PB&J delay pedals.

They both had the same affect on the volume drop. You would think if it was the delay unit, the volume would drop would be more noticable in a serial loop (since the entire signal gets sent through the loop)? But there isn't a drop at all in the serial loop, just the parallel loop.

tele_jas said:
... if it was the delay unit, the volume would drop would be more noticable in a serial loop (since the entire signal gets sent through the loop)?...

You would think so, huh? Seems strange...I wonder if maybe a bad fx send level pot? Still under warranty?

Latest posts

Back