Road King and Telecaster, a PERFECT country tone!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
As some of you know, I recently got a Fender Telecaster (again) and I was playing around with it the other night with my RK and my old Fender Deluxe...... I flipped the RK over to the Tweed setting on channel 1 (I don't really like the tweed setting with a dual humbucker guitar) and I was floored by what I heard!! I know a couple months ago I said that the RK and my G&L ASAT were a great combination for coutry music, but I didn't actually sit and compare and do any recording with it, but this time with the tele it isn't just a good or great combination, it's THE combination!!! I ended up turning off my Deluxe and recording with my RK for the parts I wanted, throw a Tubescreamer in the mix and it's even more perfect.

The sound I heard was snappy, twangy but still meaty in the bridge like a boogie should sound. The middle position (3 way switch) sounded chimey, hollow and round and the neck position was fat, less presence and bluesy sounding. I popped a Seymour Duncan Pickup booster in front of the RK and it gave it more bite and when cranked a little hotter and with the Humbucker switch it was able to hang with my Wolfgang for the hard stuff.

I'll try to post some clips sometime soon, but if you have a RK and a tele and like country music I advise you to try the RK in the Tweed mode and you'll be impressed.

I love my RK, I should have given it a Valentine's Day card or a dozen roses on Tuesday. :wink:

PS.. I guess I should mention what my idea of "the perfect country tone" is. I'm not talking about the old and older stuff from 20+ years ago, I'm talking about Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Vince Gill, Brent Mason, ect... type of tones. Just for fun, I tried some surf stuff too and it sounds pretty cool for that too (needs more reverb though).

Thats a place I dare not venture with my two channel Dual Rec! And it's too bad, because lately I've been awed by the playing of Paisley, Urban, and Vince Gill, to name a few.

Bobbypols said:
lookin to hear those clips! :)

Just remember, I said I liked Urban, Paisley and Gill.... I didn't say I could play like them :lol: . I'll try to get them finished up and posted in the next couple days. I worked a lot of overtime this week and played 2 extra acoustic gigs and play this weekend too and just haven't had too much time to mix down anything or fix my slop.

tele_jas said:
As some of you know, I recently got a Fender Telecaster (again) and I was playing around with it the other night with my RK and my old Fender Deluxe...... I flipped the RK over to the Tweed setting on channel 1 (I don't really like the tweed setting with a dual humbucker guitar) and I was floored by what I heard!! I know a couple months ago I said that the RK and my G&L ASAT were a great combination for coutry music, but I didn't actually sit and compare and do any recording with it, but this time with the tele it isn't just a good or great combination, it's THE combination!!! I ended up turning off my Deluxe and recording with my RK for the parts I wanted, throw a Tubescreamer in the mix and it's even more perfect.

The sound I heard was snappy, twangy but still meaty in the bridge like a boogie should sound. The middle position (3 way switch) sounded chimey, hollow and round and the neck position was fat, less presence and bluesy sounding. I popped a Seymour Duncan Pickup booster in front of the RK and it gave it more bite and when cranked a little hotter and with the Humbucker switch it was able to hang with my Wolfgang for the hard stuff.

I'll try to post some clips sometime soon, but if you have a RK and a tele and like country music I advise you to try the RK in the Tweed mode and you'll be impressed.

I love my RK, I should have given it a Valentine's Day card or a dozen roses on Tuesday. :wink:

PS.. I guess I should mention what my idea of "the perfect country tone" is. I'm not talking about the old and older stuff from 20+ years ago, I'm talking about Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Vince Gill, Brent Mason, ect... type of tones. Just for fun, I tried some surf stuff too and it sounds pretty cool for that too (needs more reverb though).

Congrats. It's always a great feeling when you discover an awesome new tone on a RK.

What tube combinations are you using for your country sound? If you are using EL34's, are you running them in Triode or Pentode? If you want to post any additional settings, I'd be happy to try them out ;-)

Back