RKII Cleans

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stash49

Reaction score
Well folks, the roadster cleans are definately NOT the lonestar cleans. Question: I will order an RKII tomarow if I could find out if I can get LCC cleans out of it. I was "told" a roadster is a RKII minus progresive linkage and cab switching, AND I was told you can get Lonestar cleans from and RKII, thus..but they are not there in the roadster. Can any one say difinatively-"an RKII can sound the same as a Lonestar?

francric said:
See this thread: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9348

:lol:
That thread was started by him.

Honestly, if you WANT the Roadster but just want the Road King cleans (ie, different cab and different speakers), just get the **** Roadster head and order a custom made Buzzbomb 2x12 cab from EarCandy cabs. http://www.earcandycabs.com/buzzbomb.htm

When you order, e-mail the guy and he'll want to know exactly what kind of tone you are looking for and make your cab to what you want. So, tell him you want to be able to get orgasmic clean tones out of your amp, and pick whatever freakin kind of speakers you want from Eminence. There, problem solved. Now you can get 2x12 sound (the cab will undoubtedly sound much better than the cab+speakers from the Roadking OR the Roadster, and you get portability too.

stash49 said:
Well folks, the roadster cleans are definately NOT the lonestar cleans. Question: I will order an RKII tomarow if I could find out if I can get LCC cleans out of it. I was "told" a roadster is a RKII minus progresive linkage and cab switching, AND I was told you can get Lonestar cleans from and RKII, thus..but they are not there in the roadster. Can any one say difinatively-"an RKII can sound the same as a Lonestar?

Yes, but they are like the bright mode with the reverb on.
IMO, you will spend hours enjoying it before you even bother switching to the other three channels. When I unboxed mine, I could not get off the clean channel. I even used silicon rectifiers, but did use 2 6L6's and reverb.
With a Strat or a Super Strat you will be in Heaven. The neck and quack positions are very reminiscent of the "Sultans of Swing" tone.

+1, As Boogiebabies stated.

In fact, I've done enough tweaking and tube arrangements that, I've even achieved an LSS like tone, using 2 EL34s

In end the RK II, is even better than the LSC in the clean department -- when you consider the switching options not available in the LSC 8)

hey man you will indeed be happy with the RKII cleans, I have a RKII and the cleans are beautifull, you will be happy and if your not there is something wrong with your ears.lol. just jokin everyone hears things differently, but the RKII cleans are awesome.

I have the Roadster head and well I must agree I think the cleans suck :lol: :lol: :lol:

So my opinion is you should buy a crate supercleaner amp much chepaer and you won't be on this board complaining.....

:) :)

Now some idiot start the thread that's titled "I just played a LSS" and the cleans don't sound like a LSS........ :lol: :lol:

jazzgear do you think you can pull off lss cleans on your rk 11 please keep us up to date with your progress now your really have my attention!

I had the LSS before, and loved the sound out of it, but didn't care for the EL84 compression when things got really loud -- plus the lack of headroom.

And yes, with the EL34s, or El34s + 6L6, spongy, Clean/FAT settings, I got a sound reminiscent of the LSS, very Jangly and sparkly....

All right, all right. It is true that the pc boards in the Roadster and RKII are not the same as the LSC, but the circuits are. I checked them my self, same tone stacks, same resistor and capacitor ratings. the difference is in the placement of the components which will affect the overall tone, but not by much. If you can hear it, more power to you. I still love my Roadster's cleans precisely because they sounded to my ears, at least, like the LSC. Do they have as much headroom as my MKIV? No, but enough to play most gigs and to record.

Would that be the RKII combo with open back C90s, and perhaps a 2x12 closed back speaker? I would want to avoid a 4x12 for space limitations.

You'd have to check your settings, because, there is as much clean headroom in the RK II and beyond that of the Mark IV.

I see you own the Roadster......and it really becomes apples & Oranges when talking about the RK II in the same sentence

I would expect that two exact amps, but one with V30s, the other with C90s, that the one with V30s will have less clean headroom, For one it is a lower wattage speaker, and designed to break up sooner.

JAZZGEAR said:
You'd have to check your settings, because, there is as much clean headroom in the RK II and beyond that of the Mark IV.

I see you own the Roadster......and it really becomes apples & Oranges when talking about the RK II in the same sentence

I would expect that two exact amps, but one with V30s, the other with C90s, that the one with V30s will have less clean headroom, For one it is a lower wattage speaker, and designed to break up sooner.

I would love to see what my Roadster's cleans would sound like if I replaced one of the C30's with a EV12L, but I don't think my back could hack lugging that around anymore. Any thoughts?

I love the EVs, but too heavy in an already heavy cab. I'd try the Celestion G12 Century Neo....

I had one of those in a previous Mark IV Combo and they sound very similar.....alot less weight, about 3 lbs.

Latest posts

Back