RK series 1 (Barney amp) and UPS damage claim/repair

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would get a qoute for the purple head replacement since it is more money. Get a estimate for the fix of the amp. Trust me when i say bring it to a authorized mesa teck or mesa themselves so they can completly go over it. You never know there could be a crack in one of the boards you dont know about.

After you get a final estimate for both, file your claim and get the money. With that I would buy a normal black head cab and pocket the extra for the custom color. A regular black will sell better then a custom color, well unless you get white, not cream, but they have a new color called hot white. http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=416 I am sure they could make it for a roadking head. But white also sells very well.

rabies said:
I decided to start a new thread to keep from hijacking the Platypus Mark IV thread.

I had shipped via UPS ground my purple suede RK series 1 head for an eBay auction that was returned to me @ local Staples store last nite. The head case was cracked and reverb not working. Everything else seems fine (great King of a story for Mesa reliability). :p

A service guy @ Mesa Petaluma quoted the RK head cab/enclosure is $248 for the standard black one. The damage to the cab of the Barney RK1 is not repairable according to service guy @ Petaluma.

So...............

I have up to $1800 coverage with the UPS insurance claim. I was thinking I'd get the standard black head cab. I just called Staples claim services and they said that I only need one repair estimate and that they would cover up to $1800. UPS has already issued/opened the damage claim after the inspection. The only other damage I have seen is the RCA jacks and/or reverb tank are bent/damaged. Don't know if reverb works.

Should I just have Mesa Hollywood replace the damaged head cab with the most expensive RK head cab? It can't be more than $1800. This is getting fun now, the hell days of calling and waiting are over.

Word up yo?

Go for the new embossed leather . Ostrich hide . Saw one at NAMM . Looks cool .

rabies said:
I decided to start a new thread to keep from hijacking the Platypus Mark IV thread.

I had shipped via UPS ground my purple suede RK series 1 head for an eBay auction that was returned to me @ local Staples store last nite. The head case was cracked and reverb not working. Everything else seems fine (great King of a story for Mesa reliability). :p

A service guy @ Mesa Petaluma quoted the RK head cab/enclosure is $248 for the standard black one. The damage to the cab of the Barney RK1 is not repairable according to service guy @ Petaluma.

So...............

I have up to $1800 coverage with the UPS insurance claim. I was thinking I'd get the standard black head cab. I just called Staples claim services and they said that I only need one repair estimate and that they would cover up to $1800. UPS has already issued/opened the damage claim after the inspection. The only other damage I have seen is the RCA jacks and/or reverb tank are bent/damaged. Don't know if reverb works.

Should I just have Mesa Hollywood replace the damaged head cab with the most expensive RK head cab? It can't be more than $1800. This is getting fun now, the hell days of calling and waiting are over.

Word up yo?

How was UPS with processing your claim? Did they give you any hassles?

I’ve shipped 3 boogie heads and 1 1x12 combo with no problems. I must add I DO expect it to get damaged.
UPS has told me several times it has to be able to withstand a 6 foot drop because that's what happens when it goes from the conveyer to the bin. I didn't believe them till I saw it with my own eyes. No joke...6 foot drop.
I use the big bubble, bubble wrap. Two layers around every part of the amp, and then I use U-Haul boxes for the outer box and inner box (sometimes I have to "trim").
Then I seal all the seams twice over with good packing tape (typically the duck clear or 3M 2" clear heavy duty) then I go all the way around the box twice with tape, twice each direction (length and width).
I do however get all my bubble wrap (either type) I want for free (thanks to my wife).
I do end up losing a bit of money packing in this method, but I have never had to deal with any "shipping damage" problems.
Only time I got a complaint was a guy who said I over packed the head and it took him a long time to open. I figure he was joking or just really, really stupid LOL.....I'm betting the second.

Before these threads on the whole "shipping nightmare" stories started (these stories just tell me I am making the correct decision I made my mind up to just take a car trip back to So. Cal. where I have bought all my Boogies thus far (Mesa Hollywood) and buy my amp in person. I won't be able to get the grille option I want, but I know it will have a safe trip back here.Unless I die in a fiery ball of Dodge Durango. I can order the grille later though.
I feel bad for you guys.
How much you want to bet te "speaker" problem is just the guys guitar fretting out somwhere and he can just "hear" it now that he has a real amp LOL.

I didn't know that. I wonder how my Marshall JCM 800 (and other similarly/inadequately pacakged boxes) made it safe??? But the RK was the heaviest amp I've shipped @ 70 lb box. Did you go to a UPS hub to witness that? I'd like to see some video/audio of china plates crashing into the bins. lol.

Yeah I used to go to the Hub in Gardena California all the time to ship stuff out. I do the same here in Bozeman,MT.
If you look around the UPS hub buildings you can see signs that something to the effect of : "no still or video cameras beyond this point" by the doorways.

you'd think Mesa could ship it to you safely based on how they must package to end up @ GC's..[
If Mesa would ship it to me I would be in heaven. I won't deal with the local Mesa Dealer (reasons described in another thread).
I would rather drive the 1141 miles to Mesa Hollywood in my gas guzzeling Dodge Durngo than give them a picture of a penny.
Small bussiness around hate the "big box" stores , mostly because they can't screw people daily anymore. Most of the small buz owners got together and had a radio commerical "think local, be local, buy local". No I'm not kidding. How about running your business better lame asses LOL. The bussiness that didn't participate are doing just fine becasue they know how to adapt and fill the niche......gee sounds like common biz knowledge to me LOL.
Sorry about the rant. I have a lot of time on my hands as of late:D

Sounds like things are going pretty smoothly. I am glad to hear that there were no hitches along the way to cause you any problems. You'll have to post up the pics of Barney in his new ninja garb. Heh, that cracks me up... Ninja Barney...

Back