RK II - channel 1, reverb issues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Az

Reaction score
So, as i switch from any other channel to ch.1 with reverb on, almost immediately after switching the volume rises up alot and then settles down to normal. It rises and lowers very smoothly, and there's alco a noticeable "splash" like reverb sound as the volume is up.

This happens everytime, regardless of the amount of reverb i have set to channel 1. Even if the knob is at zero, still does it.

Switching the reverb off, removes the problem.

This doesn't occur in any other channel, whether i had the reverb on or off, they're just fine as they should be.

I'm still under warranty, so i'm not that worried about it.
But we're going to record guitars next week for our new album, and do a couple of gigs, so i really wouldn't have the time to take it to a shop just right now.. nor the enthusiasm to play the gigs with another head, as i know there are no RK's to lend around here in such a short notice.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks!
-Andy

Boogie considers this a feature but it bugs me.

I think you are mischaracterizing it a little bit, but the real deal is just that they fade out the reverb during channel switches and then fade it back in to avoid hearing some large reverb pop. So whenever you change a channel, if the reverb is on for the target channel, you'll hear that splash of sound as the reverb fades back in.

You can:
- Use less reverb to lessen the intensity of that effect,
- Change channels less,
- Get used to it, or
- Just not use the amp's reverb at all

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

How high is Ch 1's Master? Your channel masters are the 'Send' level control to the reverb and FX Loop. When I was chasing a 'squeaky' clean setting in ch 1 I would dime the channel master and use the gain as my volume. The result is an indescrible clean tone, but I had the same problem you describe when I switched into ch 1 with the reverb on at those settings, as well as sending so hot a signal to my G-Major I could not balance it with the other channels.

I had to keep backing off the channel master until (most of) the swell was gone (and better match levels into the G-Maj), and use Solo to make up the volume. The Output (& Solo) control is the last level control before the power amp.

Hope this helps,

Dom

wastoid said:
the real deal is just that they fade out the reverb during channel switches and then fade it back in to avoid hearing some large reverb pop.

I'm aware of the reverb fading thing, and this definitely is not it.
I can hear the fade out and fade in while switching channels.
When the amp fades in to channel 1, the volume rises up much higher than it should, and then settles down to the appropriate level.

I should have mentioned that the amp didn't do this till today.. months of playing with the same settings and this issue just came up, so I'd think there's more of an problem than a feature.

Tried also to bypass loop, didn't help.

I might just go pick up a new set of tubes and try them in. Although it would be kind of weird that a faulty tube wouldn't affect any other channels.

I'll see if I could get a clip here for you to listen tomorrow.. It would probably make more sense.[/u]

Tomorrow came a little bit late, but here's somekind of an clip:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/az/ch1splash.mp3

I spent some twisting knobs and tried everything that i could think of, nothing helped.

My RKII does the same thing. It's really annoying on certain songs where I'm playing channel 4 modern and then switch to channel 1 clean... when the reverb fades in it's the modern tone which doesn't sound good at all. I'm going to experiment and see if it happens if the reverb is off. If so, I guess I'll have to use the reverb on my G-Major. Kind of a shame since the RKII reverb is so nice....

Recently i discovered another issues..
a high pitch feedback occured, even if i'm a good distance away from the amp and not facing towards it. surely turning down the gain helps, but it most definitely hasn't done that before, since i haven't changed my settings/guitars/locations or anything.
And the sounds seems to be very muddy and not very responsive to playing, cant really hear what i'm playing every once in a while. tube problems i guess..

well, i just have to take it to the shop for repair.

Latest posts

Back