RK II and RK II version 2 footswitch pop.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogiebabies

Reaction score
So, my RK II pops badly when I switch from channel 4 modern to Channel 3 Vintage. It's a really noticable and annoying pop that makes the amp unusabe for recording or giging. So, last week I received the newest version of the RK II ver 2 with the tuner out and the mute. The amp was tweaked again by Mesa and they improved the CH 1 tweed to have some grind and the channel 2 Brit is not so bright now. Sadly, when switching from channel 4 modern to channel 3 vintage it cause not only a pop, but cone movement on my speaker cab. It's LOOOOUUUUDDDDD !!!

These issues are regardless of how many time the channels are cycle. They are constant on both amps.

In a side by side, the original RK II pop is much less severe, but annoying.
Even when recording digitally on the Mac, you hear the pop, so you have to start a new track to switch channels. I could not imagine even bothering with the new 2.2. Speaker cone woofing is brutal.

Does anyone eles have this problem with either the II or the 2.2?

I have the same problem with my Mesa Boogie F-50. No matter how much I cycle the channels it will still pop.

I was told to change the V1 tube. Im going to try that.

are all your channels in tube recto or a mix because I've noticed my Roadking1 that if I kept all channels the same in tracking it was much worse.

I had an RK 1 and it switched totally silent.

Both RK II's pop in any setting. It does seem less prominent with the loops out and in spongy settings, but it still pops very loud.

I have swapped the preamp tubes in both amps multiple times.
I am well schooled with the sound of a bad preamp tube in a channel switching amp. They make a "ting" and pop at the same time.
This is why I sold my 2000 3 Channel Dual rectifier after 3 months.
It popped all the time and it ate preamp tubes like mad. Three months of pop, pop, ting, ting and I was done.

I am asking for help as a consensus of RK II owners. Being I am on my third one with issues I am thinking of giving up on them and going to a Stiletto and LS rig.

Boogiebabies said:
I had an RK 1 and it switched totally silent.

Both RK II's pop in any setting. It does seem less prominent with the loops out and in spongy settings, but it still pops very loud.

I have swapped the preamp tubes in both amps multiple times.
I am well schooled with the sound of a bad preamp tube in a channel switching amp. They make a "ting" and pop at the same time.
This is why I sold my 2000 3 Channel Dual rectifier after 3 months.
It popped all the time and it ate preamp tubes like mad. Three months of pop, pop, ting, ting and I was done.

I am asking for help as a consensus of RK II owners. Being I am on my third one with issues I am thinking of giving up on them and going to a Stiletto and LS rig.

Has anyone called Mesa on this one? I have a RK II on order and I sure wouldnt be happy if mine were like this.

Does it still pop when you use the external switching jacks? I have not seen the guts or schematic for a RK or RK II but did they change their channel switcing method? Do they still use LDRs for the switching functions or has everything changed over to relays? If they are using relays there has to be some circuitry to combat the transients caused when activating the coil of a relay. Peavey puts an mute on the output and the circuit consists of a transistor, cap, and diode. The time it takes to charge the cap is how long the mute lasts when switching channels.

If they are using LDR's for switching duties maybe you got a bad batch of LDR's? Do you run a line conditioner to regulate the power? I think i remember people saying when the power dipped they experienced loud popping.

I haven't heard too many other complaints of this issue so i don't think it is a design issue or maybe people just deal with it because they like the tone?

Be sure to post up any progress.

My RKII pops as well, it's not too loud, but it's definitely noticeable. I'm gunna be buying a rack-mount power conditioner when I get paid next week so I'll let you guys know if that solves the issue.

The RK II and II.2 use relays, J175 and 6426 transistors in conjunction with a mute pules buss intrnded to mute the output when channel switching.
The RK 1 was silent, but both the RK II and II.2 have different circuit boards, but use the same basic channel switching. I have owned the Diezel CH-4 and it has a system that basically cut the voltage to the whole preamp when channel switching which was instan and amazing. The RK II's pop regardless of latching or the manual switch on the back.

I gigged with mine this weekend..and played it at home...and did not notice any popping from any of the channels.....seamless quite switching.

I always cycle through the channels after I take it off standby. When I do this there are some loud pops, but after that it isn't too loud. There is still a pop but it isn't as loud as when I cycle through the channels initially.

BoogieBabies,
I would be selling that amp or sending it back to Mesa right now.

I wouldn't tolerate that crap coming out of a $2500 amp.

Latest posts

Back