RK II and RK I loop system engaged, tone thins out??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pino0105

Reaction score
i noticed that as soon I engage the loop (switch for
bypassing the loop system on the back of the amp), without having any fx attached, there is a loss of richness in tone. Basically, to my ears there is a loss in low end and somehow a slight push of mids, translating in a complete different tone characteristic of the selected channel. I have also the impression that dynamics and harmonics are reduced.

This problem happens to the RKI and to the RKII as well, where the RKI has it in a more pronounced way.

I contacted mesa , they told me to swap the loop preamptube... didn't help, still a thinner sound. Both amps sound great without loop engaged but do not with the loop system on....

I also tried to plug a patch cable in the send return jacks and played also with the master and output knobs to check if it would come from volume levels settings, but nothing!

hmmm any ideas to solve this issue, I really want to use my FX in the loop, especially for delay and chorus stuff without deteriorating the root sound charakter of the amp by engaging the loop system..

pino0105 said:
i noticed that as soon I engage the loop (switch for
bypassing the loop system on the back of the amp), without having any fx attached, there is a loss of richness in tone. Basically, to my ears there is a loss in low end and somehow a slight push of mids, translating in a complete different tone characteristic of the selected channel. I have also the impression that dynamics and harmonics are reduced.

This problem happens to the RKI and to the RKII as well, where the RKI has it in a more pronounced way.

I contacted mesa , they told me to swap the loop preamptube... didn't help, still a thinner sound. Both amps sound great without loop engaged but do not with the loop system on....

I also tried to plug a patch cable in the send return jacks and played also with the master and output knobs to check if it would come from volume levels settings, but nothing!

hmmm any ideas to solve this issue, I really want to use my FX in the loop, especially for delay and chorus stuff without deteriorating the root sound charakter of the amp by engaging the loop system..

Try messing around with the effect send level and channel masters. That's the cause of most of the problems with the effects loop changing the tone. Other than that, there isn't a whole lot you can do.

I've never had the effects loop hinder my tone in such a pronounced way as you mention it. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but just that I don't have that problem. Then again, I also run an EQ in my loop, and I think the amp sounds better with the loop and EQ on then it does with both of them off.

Latest posts

Back