Ridiculous how good it is!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
Sorry, I gotta share.
This DC5 has been with me for over a decade; it has seen lots of play; it is my #1 go-to amp despite having other amps to play with; never let me down in any live use whatsoever. So plugging into it again this last weekend I was reminded of just how incredible this amp is.

I have been playing/tuning my Express 5:25 for the last couple of months. I like it, but am still in the fine-tuning phase of ownership. Great amp, and I am genuinely impressed by it. That said, I have been spending lots of time experimenting with her, meanwhile my tried-and-true DC5 has been sitting in its cover this time unplayed. Just yesterday I had the opportunity to play the DC and bam! It all comes back from the very first chord progression, the very first few seconds of playing ...why the heck this amp is just sooo good. The cleans (for me that is semi-cleans) are so huge and rich, with a shimmer that reveals its glorious Fender lineage, but with a distinct voice and sparkle that is so boogie and so gorgeous! I can play in these hairy-cleans forever ...strat, tele, paul, it all sounds great where the true nature of the guitar comes through. Man I get lost in that tone.

And in OD channel, well that is sheer boogie glory! As I am not a high-gain player, an occasional foray into EVH (think pretty woman) just oozes harmonics and richness. Back down the gain and ACDC and Zep is there with beautifully-defined individual notes and singing mids.

Funny how stepping away from your fav gives you a perspective once you come back to it. So yes, I like my express; great little amp this 5:25, and one that surprisingly has me liking EL84s where before I never cared for their tone/dynamics. She gets to stay. But my DC5 is where it's at. Sold my MarkIII Simul some time ago, danced with a IV for a bit, can't feel any love for rectos. And I am selling my last Fender. But this one ... wow! Just a beautiful tone machine that is more than verstile, it flat out sounds gorgeous! OK, love-fest is over. Thanks for indulging me :)

Edward

Well Ed you converted me!!! I felt the same way when I powered up the DC-10 for the 1st time. The DC's have that mojo that the new Boogies don't seem to have. I liked the 5:25,but it's not as good as the DC. I also like how you can change the tubes to fine tune your sound for each channel. I just bought a Boss SE-50 and put that in the effects loop for delay...match made in heaven. From clean to crunch to metal the DC-10 rocks! Thanks again Edward!!!! Anybody else have any DC love stories? :D

rockboy999 said:
Well Ed you converted me!!! I felt the same way when I powered up the DC-10 for the 1st time. The DC's have that mojo that the new Boogies don't seem to have. I liked the 5:25,but it's not as good as the DC. I also like how you can change the tubes to fine tune your sound for each channel. I just bought a Boss SE-50 and put that in the effects loop for delay...match made in heaven. From clean to crunch to metal the DC-10 rocks! Thanks again Edward!!!! Anybody else have any DC love stories? :D

Hahaha ...well that's our secret mission, isn't it? :D

IMHO, two of the most significant losses in the Mesa line are loss of the GEQ, and each channel's discrete preamp signal path. And that latter point is huge! One can tailor the preamp stage of one channel without compromising the other ...ask me why this is so cool! ;)

Glad you're diggin the DC10 ...she's a monster, to be sure! I'd never have let her go if it weren't for the fact that combo is just easier/less cumbersome than head/cab. If I had the extra discretionary dough, you'd better believe I'd have kept that baby. So glad you're feeling the love! :D

Edward

I havent owned any other Mesa's besides my DC-5, but, the other guitarist in my band has a Stiletto Deuce and I have to to say I LOVE my DC in comparison. Hoping to go for a Mark or maybe even a Roadster next for my high gain playing but have no plans on getting rid of the DC regardless.

I am SO glad I got my DC5. I traded a Fender Supersonic for it, and if I hadn't of gotten that, i might have gotten a peavey valveking!

I'm finally at the "end" stage if you can it that, cause for all my guitars i have the PERFECT settings for them live and in my room. It's great, this amp never ceases to impress people and my friends.

I was just thinking the same thing about my .50Cal+...Man, I've bought at least 25 amps and I always go back to my .50Cal+.

Latest posts

Back