Rhythm vs. Lead high gain on Mark IV? How do you set it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm just curious how you set your Mark IV to differentiate between high gain rhythm and lead tones?

Currently, I've been running the Lead channel with EQ for rhythm (scooping a bit and pushing low end), and running just the Lead channel alone for leads. It's not a bad setup, but I usually like different gain settings in the sounds (less for rhythm, more for leads).

For this reason, I'm thinking about dropping the gain down a bit on the lead channel for rhythm sounds, and boosting with an OD for lead sounds.

I'm curious what your findings are on this? Which method works best for you? Or do you use a different one all together?

Thanks!

Eric

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Currently, I've been running the Lead channel with EQ for rhythm (scooping a bit and pushing low end), and running just the Lead channel alone for leads. It's not a bad setup, but I usually like different gain settings in the sounds (less for rhythm, more for leads).
I do pretty much the same thing, but I use one of my (midi) eq's for leads. I use the amp's eq (very slight V) for rhythms and for leads I use a midi switcher to turn off the amp's eq and engage the other eq. the lead eq has a good low-mid to mid boost. it not only gives a good overall volume bump, but help cut through and having less overall highs helps round out the notes. works great

some guys don't like pedals.

but

if you were to add a really nice clean boost in front of the amp ( i use a Fulltone Fatboost III)..........

you could clean up the lead channel for rhythm a bit more....
keep using the V cut for the rhythm....

use the GEQ out for the leads...
and when you just need MORE, and a boost in volume, kick in the clean boost.

that actually feels more chewy, organic, and CLEAR to me, than adding gain at the preamp.

but, you get all that touch sensitivity like you do with the added gain.

just another idea....

Latest posts

Back