Reverb problem Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facelift

Reaction score
I have a blue stripe mark III and it seems to have a reverb problem. Whenever I turn the knob up past zero I get this sound like Im trying to tune into some old transistor radio. I normally dont use reverb anyway but decided to one day and this is what happened. I tried replacing the tube in V4, still does it. I have no clue what could be causing this. Any ideas?

Facelift said:
I have a blue stripe mark III and it seems to have a reverb problem. Whenever I turn the knob up past zero I get this sound like Im trying to tune into some old transistor radio. I normally dont use reverb anyway but decided to one day and this is what happened. I tried replacing the tube in V4, still does it. I have no clue what could be causing this. Any ideas?

it's a long shot, but maybe the leads are reversed?

I just fixed the tank on my DC10 inside some of the wire leads are not actually soldered but rather use a dreadful solder-less connector
mta4pos.jpg

kind of like that well the wires lost their connection the fix was to just strip and solder directly to the component
they solder the wires onto the 1/8" jacks but then use this goofy connector to the guts...
could be a bad connection there

Wow, this sounds a bit like the issue I'm having with my Mark IV. With my amp, all is cool when the Reverb is at 0. Once I add any reverb to the signal, it sounds as if the notes are fretting out. Metallic and string-buzzy. I pulled the tank and everything looked ok inside but I didn't check those connectors. It's in the shop now.

What noise does it make with the tank pulled when you turn the knob up no noise = tank problem same noise = reverb tube or socket problem ect...

It sounds like a ground issue.

1. Look inside the chassis where the black wire comes off the reverb transformer and connects to the reverb input jack.
The input jack is closest to the GEQ. Make sure the black wire is soldered to the jack and making contact with the top right
hand jack screw.

2. If their is as little as 25 Ohms of resistance, or a dirty ground the reverb circuit will distort. Try cleaning the grounds at the jack, cables
and tank.

My Mark IV has been at the tech for 2 weeks. Mesa has told him that in some cases, the wiring can be too close to the reverb transform and will need to be shielded. He couldn't reproduce the problem at first so I went to the shop and showed him that the channel master has to be low. No higher than 2 or so. I just spoke to them today and was told that the tech's guitar doesn't reproduce the issue so I have to bring mine back to him. I don't know what kind of guitar he's using. Both my home made Egress and 2 Suhrs experienced the issue: Reverb at 0 = good, Reverb > 0, distorted, rattly sound.

Had exactly the same problem with mine:

The problem was the grid reference resistors which had been snipped (possibly to increase the reverb level). Once reconnected the reverb was not distorted but still very quiet. Original resistors rated at 20k(?) a piece subsequently replaced with 1meg(?) value.

In my case, the reverb unit was retrofitted by a tech long after the amp left Mesa back in the day and i think the problem originated there.

Have to say I'm not that keen on the 'verb in this model (and yes, it is the correct unit for the amp!). Thinking of removing mine altogether, but that's enough about me :) . Try the above tip let us know how you get on.

Latest posts

Back