Reverb on Roadster is gone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
For some reason I can't hear reverb on any of the channels of my Roadster head. It doesn't matter how high or how low I have the reverb knob I can't hear any.

what happened?!

I couldn't find a tube task sheet in the manual on the website but it's one of your preamp tubes. V4 probably. There should be a task sheet in your amp headshell, it's one of the preamp tubes.

That or it became disconnected.. I'm willing to bet it's tube if you haven't moved it recently.

i haven't moved it around recently.

ill try a new v4

by the way, the v1 is the closest tube to the input jack, right?

the issue with my roadster is not new to you?

thanks plat

I'm not sure how the roadster is laid out, if you're looking at the back V1 should be furthest left.

It's a common thing with tube driven reverb, not just among roadsters. I am guessing on the V4, you should be able to figure out which one is having problems though.

Cables go to the reverb tank, which i think is mounted on the top of your heads cab inside. Not really sure, I've never seen one.

barneyc4, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence at all with the following statement, but have you made sure that it is switched on with the footswitch? I know it sounds stupid but it is usually the simplest solution that fixes the problem when diagnosing electrical circuitry.

Also, as someone else has mentioned, make sure the footswitch cable is plugged in tightly on both the amp, and the footswitch. If it is a little loose it can make things toggle on and off. I own a Roadster so I should know this, but I don't think you can turn the reverb on and off without the footswitch?

Let us know what you come up with.

i made sure the fs was connected to the amp well and the reverb is still gone.

i guess im going to have to do that tube change right?

so should I start with V4?

Hey man, haven't been here in a while, but incase you didnt know, I finally got my Roadster...like back in April lol. The reverb never worked....since I got it, and unfortunately it still doesnt work because I just havent needed to fix it even though I've desperately wanted to. I'm gonna retube it and then bring it to someone to get it fixed, but definately take all the tubes out and check the cables that run into the Reverb tank. I've checked everything and I still cant seem to get it to work.....maybe I'm just a tube no0b lol. Good luck

are you the one who bought a roadster that popped, took it back and got another one that popped?

im going to retube mine tonight, ill let you know what happens

just did the retube. I changed all the tubes
4x6L6, 6x12AX7, 2x5U4

I can't hear the reverb.

What I did notice is that whenever I move the reverb knob right and left while the reverb switch is on I can hear a small increase in gain at some point. Almost unnoticeable....

I don't dare to open up the amp and start messing around with it.
and im not in the U.S.

i guess im screwed

It should still be under warranty. Have you tried calling Mesa yet to ask their opinion? I'm sure they will take care of things for you, even if it means sending it back. The Roadster is a great amp so I hope you are able to get things squared away.

G.I.G. said:
It should still be under warranty. Have you tried calling Mesa yet to ask their opinion? I'm sure they will take care of things for you, even if it means sending it back. The Roadster is a great amp so I hope you are able to get things squared away.

i'll give them a call tomorrow for sure.
by the way, which cab do you like best with your roadster? the traditional or recto?
I have the traditional slant

hey AsIAm666
so what do you plan on doing with your roadster? still keeping it? are you currently playing it even though the reverb doesnt work?

Well I've been opting for a Mark IV just out of pure frustration, but I'm gonna stick it out until I get the reverb fixed cuz I know its a great amp, and theres so many factors that could be affecting my tone. The tubes, speakers, it being in my tiny basement with no room to breathe, etc. So I'll see what happens once I bring it to get fixed.
And yea I'm still playing it, I actually just played my Senior Variety Show 2 thursdays ago, and I actually played two Guthrie Govans songs with it (I should be getting the tape of that shortly). It sounded ok. At first I was using my friends Boss reverb through it and it sounded ok but when we were rehearsing 10 minutes before the show, the amp was cutting out when I was playing the tapping part of "Fives" so I just got fed up and kept my rig as simple as possible, so I had no reverb. Btw, we played Fives and Wonderful Slippery Thing at the gig. :D

Back