Reverb Not Working-Bad Tank?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ Slaughter

Reaction score
My newly acquired Mesa DC-3's reverb doesn't work at all. I swapped V5 which is the tube for the reverb circuit and checked the cables from the amp to the reverb tank. The cable to the reverb input seems to be good but the one for the output only shows continuity at the leads, tip, not what I would call the grounds. I am presuming that the output lead is only one wire since it is not a shielded cable but a single white wire like I've seen in every other amp with reverb.

With cables unplugged at the tank there is continuity as follows:

Input's lead (green wire) to Output's ground (black wire)
Input's ground to Output's ground
Input's lead to Input's ground ? Doesn't make sense to me.

The Output's lead has no continuity anywhere. I'm referring to what is on the reverb tank as far as inputs and outputs are concerned.

Is there anyone familiar with reverb tanks who can give me some tips? Please set me straight.

I played around with a bad tank in a MKiv. Got frustrated with it and bought a new exact replacement off Ebay for about $50.

Thats what I'm going to do. They're so cheap, $30 for my amp, that it doesn't make sense to screw around with it. I may not even put one back in because when I do use reverb it's from my pedal board anyway.

In a used amp I had shipped to me, the reverb wasn't working and being the cheap ba%$#@d that I am, I took out the tank to take a look. Lo and behold there was a solder joint that came loose from one of the i/o connections to the actual spring assembly. Soldered it, re-installed the tank and saved the 30-50 bucks for a new tank. took 30min
Its worth a look.

Also make sure the plugs are in correctly and not criss crossed. Yeah if its something obvious its worth fixing. I couldn't find any broken wires or anything on mine. I'm sure if I traced it with a meter I could find the problem but unless its a broken wire or bad solder joint your looking at replacing some kind of part in there. Easier to just buy a new one.

Latest posts

Back