Retubing Nomad w/ Winged C 6L6 - Rating Help Please????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph_68

Reaction score
I posted earlier this week about how I have lost my love for Mesa 6L6 tubes in my Nomad 55. I have had 3 pairs of Mesa tubes go south within 2-3 months and unforgivable rattle issues. So...

I am now sitting here with a matched pair of Winged C 6L6's with a rating of "27/2.3" on the little yellow stickers affixed to the boxes.

I am gunning to plug these babies into my Nomad, but with the whole Mesa fixed bias thing I am hesitant since I don't understand this 27/2.3 rating.

Will this pair work properly in my Nomad? Any advice or info. on these numbers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Im sitting here looking at a quad of Ruby 6l6gcmstr's from Doug's and they are Mesa Spec. Each tube is between 26.8-27.8ma, so you're on the money, I reckon. These puppies are goin in to my DC10 head, FWIW.

I have =C= 6L6GC's from Doug marked 20.9 - 21.3mA and they draw about the same as my Mesa STR-440 GRN's (around 26-28mA).

I'm waiting on a new Quad that will hopefully draw around 33-35mA in my Roadster and Doug mentioned we would try 23-24 mA tubes.

IMO stop the guess work and get a bias probe.

Dom

The mesa red tubes created a lot more heat in my Nomad than the JJ tubes get from eurotubes.com. You can mod your amp and have variable bias pretty easy i hear.

joseph_68 said:
I posted earlier this week about how I have lost my love for Mesa 6L6 tubes in my Nomad 55. I have had 3 pairs of Mesa tubes go south within 2-3 months and unforgivable rattle issues. So...

I am now sitting here with a matched pair of Winged C 6L6's with a rating of "27/2.3" on the little yellow stickers affixed to the boxes.

I am gunning to plug these babies into my Nomad, but with the whole Mesa fixed bias thing I am hesitant since I don't understand this 27/2.3 rating.

Will this pair work properly in my Nomad? Any advice or info. on these numbers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Those ratings are likely the plate current and transconductance readings as measured in your vendor's tube tester. The tubes will most certainly be seeing different plate and bias voltages in the Nomad, so there is no way of knowing for sure if the tubes fall within an appropriate bias range without measuring the current draw with the tubes installed in the amp.

Find out what kind of tester your vendor uses. If the tubes were screened with a Maxi-Matcher I can confirm that a pair with those measurements will work properly.

Back