Retubing my Triple Rectifier (2 chan)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inearthed

Reaction score
I think to try something new gonna throw in EL34's. Which ones should I get? I want to order from Dougstubes.com

Since we determined that the pre section is where my problems were coming from... What about the pre section? Any suggestions?

Also, I'm going to be doing this myself, so is there any guides with pictures that I can refer to when retubing? Yes yes, I know blah blah blah you're not responsible for me damaging my amp and all that... Don't worry, if I did screw it up I'd be too embarassed to post about it or go after anyone.

I played a triple in the studio last night and I could not believe how powerful that amp was.Great tone and feel WOW !

Check out the JJ hi-gain front end kit from www.eurotubes.com (dougs has them too if thats where you're ordering from).It consists of ECC83S's handpicked for high gain/low microphonics for V1,2,3, a standard ECC83S for V4 (fx loop), and a balanced hi-gain ECC83S for V5 (phase inverter). I substituted a JJ ECC803 in V1 and it seems to give more detailed mids and smoother highs than the 83S without any loss of low-freq response. For extreme metal or low tunings you might prefer the 83S in V1. I play more traditional metal and hard rock, and the 803 is outstanding in this app.

Dont really have much advice on EL34's as I prefer the tone of the 6L6's, but the Ruby EL34BMSTR's have been getting good reviews, as have the JJ E34L's.

If you're into using the tube rectifiers, throw some GZ34/5AR4's in there in place of the 5U4's. A HUGE improvement!

When retubing...V1 is closest to the input jack on the front of the amp, and they go in order from there. Power tubes are arranged in 3 pairs like this...123321. Just put 'em in like they came out and you should be fine. Be careful lining up the pins on the preamp tubes as they are fragile.

Hey NGNC,

I see that eurotubes.com has a Triple Rec Standard retube kit with "a matched sextet of the JJ 6L6GC's along with 5 JJ ECC83S's one of them being balanced for the phase inverter in V5." I think I'm gonna bag the idea of getting the EL34's and stick with 6L6's... You think that snagging that retube kit for $130 is a good deal? (haven't bought tubes in a looong time)

Yeah thats a good deal. Dont think you'll get better glass for less $ anywhere else. Get the preamp tubes graded for high-gain...even if you dont use a massively overdriven tone, they still sound better IMO. Well worth the extra 2 bucks a tube. To my ears, the regular ECC83S's are a bit too dark in a recto head.

Back