Retubing a Mark3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazka

Reaction score
Hey there. I just got an used Mark 3, and I'm looking for a whole new set of tubes for it, yet I don't know **** about them. Are there any "Must haves"? I've heard good about Tung Sol's, how would loading the preamp with those sound?

I recently got a Mk III also. I decided to get a whole set from Bob at Eurotubes (http://www.eurotubes.com). He's never let me down before. Got 5 ECC83S (3 hi-gain, 1 balanced for PI, one regular). 2 KT77s and 2 6L6GC. Cost about $140 for the whole lot. Sounds terrific!

Is yours a Simul-Class?

What positions did you put your hi-gains? I am thinking of using some JJ ECC 803S's in my Mark III at least in V3. It's not a Simul-Class. Will this make a noticeable difference to my lead mode? Thanks

Simul-class only affects the power tubes. I used the hi-gain tubes in V1, V2, and V3.

As for ECC803S - I'd use them only in V1 and NEVER in a combo. They're a little more 'vintage' sounding to my ear. But they're way prone to mechanical noise and microphonics. Deifinately cool, though. But I wouldn't slap 'em in V3 since it's involved in the over-the-top Lead channel gain stage.

Latest posts

Back