Retubing a Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, the stock tubes on the IV are starting to get a little noisy...when my rig was being rebuilt, it went through a bunch of rough transportation, so I figure I could swap them now, as I'm done gigging without backups.

What do you guys recommend? I've never been completely infatuated with Mesa tubes.

I'm looking to possibly darken up the Mark IV a bit....smoothen it a bit, while still keeping that mean and aggressive punch. We're talking a nice, not overly compressed hard rock / metal tone. A fatter rounder bottom end would be nice too.

I don't believe the Mark IV is a bright amp...it's just very aggressive in the high end...it cuts VERY well....I'd like to tame that a little. Taking out a little of the compression would be great!

So, what do you guys recommend for the preamp? The Sovtek LPS seems like it might be a good route.

Now, for power amp, I'm torn between either 4 6L6s (SEDs, as I love these), or a pair of 6L6s with KT77s. Which do you guys think would be better for the fat less compressed tone, with a slightly bigger low end?

What have you guys tried in the Mark IV with good results?

Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back