RETUBE MESA RECTIFIER STEREO 2:100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killbyphone

Reaction score
Hello!

I am new to this board. My name is Chris and I'm from Germany.
I'm play in a band called "Nevermind", and we're playing Alternative Rock.

I just own a MESA BOOGIE RECTIFIER STEREO 2:100, a Line6 POD XT PRO Preamp (which I want to change with a Recto Pre), a Rivera Knucklehead 4x12 with V30 and a nice pedalboard with just a BOSS MT-2 as my main distortion source, a EH Small Clone, an analog BOSS BF-2 Flanger and a BOSS DD-6 for delaying action.

I am happy with my setup except with the Line6, which is a cool source for effects but lacks in the sound department (especially modern distortion sounds). They sound good but they have no punch!

All in all I want to retube my BOOGIE 2:100 poweramp and I don't know which 6L6 tubes I should choose to retube. I am happy with the sound of the poweramp so I don't want to install bias pots and all other stuff. I'll keep it stock-type but I don't know which tubes to choose from! There are STR420 6L6 in my amp but it seems like no is producing this 420-type STR anymore. I just want to have exactly same sounding tubes, without any technician, like MESA is promising.

Any idea?

MFG
Chris

STR-430s are made by Sovtek. If you're looking to keep the same sound, order a replacement set of from one of the various internet dealers that've already been tested to comply with Mesa's specs.

I suggest switching to the STR-454, which are made by Svetlana. They have the same basic tone as the Sovteks, but are more harmonically rich IMO.

Thank you for your answer.

IAre the Svetlana's also in "MESA tested" so that I can use them without setting the bias seperately in the poweramp?

I am a noob when it comes to buy tubes. :?

Latest posts

Back