Retro recto 4x12 cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOEY B.

Reaction score
I finally got enough speakers collected to convert one of my Recto standard cabs to a "Retro". I always wanted to play one of the old half-back cabs. But there were never any available locally for me to test drive. The ones on the internet were either too far away or looked a bit rough. I chose the next best thing. So far when tested against the V30 cab, the Lead (distorted) channel sounded a little more "meaty". If that makes any sense. The biggest difference was the clean sound :D :shock:. The dynamics are unreal. The EV's were a little difficult to get mounted, as the studs in the cab were too short. But one trip to the hardware store fixed that. Check it out.

DSC01718.jpg

Hey, looks great. I wouldn't mind pulling the V-30's out of my RK cab and trying something different. They just sound a little muddy to me compared to the C-90's when I switch back and forth.

Yeah, I wish Mesa would offer the "classic" EV as an option in their speaker cabs since they are available again. The growth from a small shop into a corporation has done away with many of the electronic and speaker options within their products. I guess paridise can't last forever. Thank GOD for Mike B. He is very helpful if you need something out of the ordinary. :D :D :D

Looking at buying another IIC+. The MkIV is great, but for what I'm doing these days, I don't need on-the-fly tone changes. I can get all the tones that I need from the MkI or MkII. It just requires more knob turning.

JOEY B. said:
Yeah, I wish Mesa would offer the "classic" EV as an option in their speaker cabs since they are available again. The growth from a small shop into a corporation has done away with many of the electronic and speaker options within their products. I guess paridise can't last forever. Thank GOD for Mike B. He is very helpful if you need something out of the ordinary. :D :D :D

EV sent new 200 watt EV 12L's to Mesa. They did not make the cut and will not be sold by Mesa. EV is due to reissue the 12L in the 200 Watt version.
The original 12L was 300 Watts like the EV 12LB. I really do not notice too much difference between the Black Label and the 200 Watt 12L. I bought the Black Label a while back to sub for my original 84 while I had the dust cover replaced. Before I bought it some jackass tried to clean the dust cover with liquid and it peeled some of the paper off, so It is brighter than normal. Hopefully I will pull the EV and send it to the Speaker Doctor for a new dust cover. I just realized, I have five 12L's in total in the Mesa's.
I think your speaker arrangement is awesome and would love to try a 4 12L 4FB cab. For now, i am totally into the G-Flex, but i am adding a 2X12 Mesa with V-30's for some sizzle. I think the boom and sizzle of the two cabs will be just what I am looking for, in stereo as well.

Just tried this cab with the MkIV Lead channel. It required some tone adjustment from the V30 settings. Pure F'n EVIL! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:. I'm afraid if I hook up the C+ to it, I might just have an organism. :eek:

I feel the mice hard at work here in my head. I might slip a pair into my 1960B cab. Hmmmm.... or 4? Tighter cab? Interesting...

Hey Boogiebabies,

Doesn't Zakk Wylde run 4 of the 300w Black Label 12Ls in his cabs? He is using the 1960B cabs and the taller 1960TV cabs right? That's like 2400w stacks?

Try 2 of them mixed with the Celestions first. The EV is a very bright speaker, and the Celestion tends to "round out" the tone. Four EV's might be a little overkill on the high frequencies with a Boogie.

Russ said:
Hey Boogiebabies,

Doesn't Zakk Wylde run 4 of the 300w Black Label 12Ls in his cabs? He is using the 1960B cabs and the taller 1960TV cabs right? That's like 2400w stacks?

Actually now that they've come out, zakk is using the black label 12L exclusively. to the tune of 6400 watts worth......

ive been a huge ZW fan for years.....

Finally got to try the C+ with this cab. Some tone and EQ adjustment was required (very little), and I found the tone. This was the case with the MkIV, as well. The EV's and the extra headroom of the 105 transformer made for an "ear ringing and toe curling experience" This is NOT a practice amp configuration. If you want early breakup, stay away from this cab. If you want hellish, tight bass response, and highs that will almost crack glass, I highly recommend it. :evil:

Back