Restoring a hardwood cabinet - Mark IV - Penofin

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bastian

Reaction score
Has anyone got any tips on how to restore a hardwood cabinet? I saw a pretty detailed desription here: http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/resto.html

However.... we don't have penofin in Europe. Are there any alternatives?

-Bastian

I am certain any quality PEnetrating Oil FINish will do what you want .
Surface preparation is very important . Take care , you will be looking at/playing it for a long time .
Clean , smooth , & dust free. 8)

Stain plus wax can also be very nice, and is easier to handle than oil.

Sand off the old finish and apply what you like. I like to use a satin GEL polyurethane. It goes on supper easy with either a lint free cloth or a white scotch brite pad. 3 coats will seal and protect. There are no drips or runs, you don't have to sand between coats, but I run some oooo steal wool across the surface anyway. I use this stuff on furniture that I build, and it holds up really well. Give it a try. I intend on building hardwood cabs for my MKIV and thiele. I will used this as a top coat.

Boiled linseed oil, danish oil, varnish all work well also, but you need to recoat every year or so and they don't prtect nearly as well as urethane. If you use oils, make sure you spred out whatever it is you apply it with and let it dry before you toss them in the trash. Oils will occasionally combust when drying on a cloth just sitting there. Keep them out of your house and let them dry.

Latest posts

Back