Request for help/advice re: Stiletto noise.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swillie

Reaction score
First I want to apologies in advance for this lengthy post but I would be very grateful for any help or advice.

I have spent some hours Googling, searching and reading through posts on this forum and have not been able to determine whether the noise I am getting from my Stiletto Duece II is normal or a concerning problem. Due to where I live in Australia it is quite costly for me to send it to the Mesa service agent and I just wanted to get others thoughts before sending it away.

Ok. I love my Stiletto. I bought it new over a year ago and still love its tone. I have recently started doing some home recording with the Stiletto and have become more aware of how noisy the amp is. When I put the amp in standby mode there is a very slight transformer hum that can be heard when putting your ear up close to the amp. This hum is fine and I expect normal. You can hardly hear this. The problem is when I turn the amp on from standby it sounds like this transformer hum is amplified through the cabinet speakers. It is quite loud and annoying in a recording environment.

I have gone through quite an extensive process of elimination with no success. The following is what I have tried and would appreciate any further help and suggestions.
• I use a Furman Power Conditioner to eliminate dirty power issues.
• I also use an ISP Decimator that eliminates all other noise but this constant hum.
• In trying to identify the problem I removed all connecting leads (effects, channel switching, etc) to the amp other than speaker cable (good quality Planet Waves speaker lead) and power lead. There is no difference whether a guitar and lead is connected or not.
• The hum is present on both channels and does not alter in volume or tone with volume adjustment (both channel and master volumes).
• I have removed the master volume and loop from circuit using the switch at the rear with no change.
• There is no change when switching Bold/Spongy or Tube Rectifier Tracking/Silicon Diodes.
• I disconnected my Mesa 4x12 and connected my Mesa 2x12, also no change.
• I have also gone to the extent of swapping out all tubes one by one (pre and power) with no change.
• As a last hope I moved the amp to another power outlet and connected the amp directly without the Furman Power Conditioner but also made no change.

I have also compared this noise with a friend’s Road King 2 and a Dual Rectifier and although there is transformer noise neither appear to amplify through the speaker cabinet like my Stiletto does.

Again I apologise for the lengthy post and thank you for taking the time to read it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No worries on the length of post, sorry for your trouble. I had a series one duece that did not exhibit this noise, nor does my ace, though their trannies both have a light external hum, as does my Lonestar which is normal according to the experts. You tried everything I would have except calling mesa when I hit the end of the list and started pulling hair.
Thet are open 9:00am-5:00 pm U.S. Pacific Time,
Monday through Thursday.
Phone: 707-778-6565 Tell them you are calling international and they may have an alternate line?
Fax: 707-765-1503
I thought of one thing-do your preamp tubes all have their factory shields? May be a factor.
I'd call before shipping, after all they built it.
Cheers

does it only hum at one location or various? it may be a ground loop problem. take a look at the ebtech's Hum X about $60 US. I am going to pick one up as I have a noise issue at my home but not at other locations so far at least. good luck.

Hmmm. I know for a fact the electrical wiring in my hose is out of date, I have other typical noise issues, especially when using a boost. When I play at my friends house with updated electrical AND further away from the big city I have less nose and less RF. Probably does not help....but....

Thanks for all your replies.

Yesterday I called the tech for the Mesa Boogie Agent here in Australia. After advising him of what I have done in order to identify the problem he suggested sending the amp to him so he could have a look. As per suhrlyguy's advice I am going to give Mesa Boogie a call direct in the US and get their thoughts.

A good point bought up by dmain and TTSTWO. Much to my disappointment I have only gigged with the Stiletto a couple times due to venue sizes and types of gigs. I have not noticed the hum as much away from my house, probably due to home being a much quieter environment. I am going to try another location over the next week and report back my findings. Question though??? Wouldn't my Furman Power Conditioner eliminate any ground loop hums? I will try and do some research on this.

Thanks again..

Just for ha has try wraping the transformer in 2 or 3 layers of aluminum foil to shield it....if it helps you may have a noisy trans that is transfering some of its magnetic interferance to the speaker via the magnet or the tubes...

Back