Replacement tubes on stiletto duece II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadowsky13

Reaction score
just doing some amp maintenance. Tubes have not been changed for a couple of years and want to put in new ones. Power tubes are good/new but need to replace preamp tubes. what are you guys usuing in yours, any suggestions??

I like the JJ's and the Tung Sol's for the stilettos. The darker the tube the better IMO. Helps tame some of the brightness.

I used E34L-STR Harma Diamond tubes,as droptrd said darker tubes really help.
I use a mxr 10 band eq in the effects loop and a boss distortion pedal.
Through a hughes and kettner 4 x12,it sounds awesome!
The tubes really tame the amp,adds a warm sound.The clean channel has a lovely marshall tone to it now.
I'm not saying the mesa tubes were'nt good,but its worth trying out different tubes as i'd say the stilleto is an amp that is so versatile.You can really shape your own sound.

I like the Ruby EL34s and can't remember the preamp tubes, whatever Dougs tubes suggested which is a cocktail of preamp tubes. But sounds really good definetly warmed it up tone wise.

Previous owner replaced V1/2 with Tung-Sol 12AX7s. I tried the stock mesa's in these spots and lost the sweet clean and liquidy lead tones I loved. I promptly put them back in. It literally improved the clean tone 50% in my opinion. For the record, I've always been about Mesa branded tubes, but this is the first exception I've made.

Latest posts

Back