Replacement speakers for RK combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oz_mike

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A mate has a Road King series one which I am mucking around with at the moment. I've played around with this amp for weeks now, and I was really disappointed with higher gain channels, I must confess. So today, I thought I'd have a go at using the amp through an oversized 4*12 with vintage 30's. Wow. Now I get it.

But,...

It does beg the question,... why did Mesa put the C90 in there? I replaced them with G12K-100s, and the sound was much better, but still quite different to the 4*12 (I know,... not a fair comparison). The G12k-100s had a much more restrained top end. But I still found that there was way too much going on in the mids.

So I swapped them out for G12T-75s, and that seemed to be the best solution. Certainly doesn't have the same low end as the 4*12, but the mids are now a bit more restrained, and the amp doesn't sound as boomy. The cleans also sounded quite good.

Now, the G12T-75s have the most 'scooped' frequency response, so does that mean that in a typical combo design, such a speaker is the best solution for getting a more balanced, less boomy sound?

Does anyone else out there have experience experimenting with different speakers in the RK?

I'm currently using 4 P50E's and 2 EMI Wizards in my 6x12. I have the P50E's on the A output and the Wizards on the B output. So far it's been the best combonation. I get perfect Lamb of God tones with the bottom 4 P50E's and then I kick in the top 2 openback Wizards for solo's.
I've tried V30's and CL80's but they were to harsh at high volumes (great at low volumes).
I have got 2 G12T-75's in a VHT cab coming this week. I have also heard that they tame the mids of the RK. I bought it mostly because it was only $225 on ebay but figured it would be great to keep at home because the 6x12 is a ***** to move. I hope the G12T-75's sound as good as everyone says.

BTW I've tried a couple of randall cabs with the RK.......They don't pair up well at all.

Latest posts

Back