Removing the chasis and avoiding death!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippingrudy

Reaction score
Everyone knows that poking around inside an amp can get you killed if you touch the wrong component. Is there anything you can do to drain the amp of of the stored voltage?

I use a 1k 5watt resistor wired between two alligator clips.Connect one clip to the main filter cap and the other end to ground,leave it connected for a minute or so to be sure the caps completely drain.

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/resto.html

there's also a piece in there about draining...i think it's a different technique.

You can unlplug your amp from the wall outlet and then turn the amp on with the standby on.. Call Mesa, this is what they told me,

Shep said:
i just get my muilt meter and put it on to it's highest Dc reading setting and then you watch it all drain from the cap's...

I am assuming you are a referring to an analog (needle movement) multimeter (?), rather than a digital multimeter. Digital multimeters have such great impedence at the the probes, it would not do much to discharge the caps. The idea of an analog movement to display the cap's disharging is great idea. The fellas where I work use purpose built high voltage wands with built in analog meters. For TV tubes, this is serious business. TV tubes can store 1000 volts per inch of diagonal screen width. :shock:

Back