Rekindle the old flame - pickup ideas for old SG

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heritage Softail

Reaction score
Way back in the day I lucked into a 72 SG, bought it from a guy in a band up in Va. Beach for $200. He needed cash, $200 was all I had in my pocket. It is a beater, had the old tailpiece replaced and holes for coil taps drilled in it. Nut replaced with a brass one and X2N in bridge and Dimarzio Super Distortion in neck. Unusual guitar in that it has flat sided inlays, not the traditional Les Paul inlays, and an inlay at the top as well. Guitar Center said Gibson did lots of custom and one off type things back then.

So, I want to get back to the original SG sound with a bit more grind. Not really worried about the coin. The old SG was my first quality guitar and nothing can take that spot, if you know what I mean. It will probably play higher gain type blues, Jethro Tull, Trower, early ZZ. The coil tap holes are already there so I will probably pop them in just to fill the holes. Would also bring in a few nice single coil tones as well.

Thank you Gentlemen....

I will just order one and give it a whirl. The old girl has been around the world in the hull of a ship while I was in the Navy. May end up being in the rotation again. Just hate play it too much. Old frets are pretty well worn down and the rosewood has low spots where it got alot of playing. May as well add a new fingerboard and frets to the new shoes.. 8)

KH Guitar Freak said:
The Angus Young pickups might be good too...

Are there special Angus pickups? I had the Angus burger and it was good. Thick and meaty. :lol: :lol:

Could not resist that. Review clip posted....

The Gibson Angus Young Signature Humbucker Pickup has a modern, yet vintage sound. The coils on the pickup are made with enamel coated wire, and matched coils. Matched coils provide a rich creamy sound when they overdrive an amp. The Angus Young Signature Humbucker is a very high output pickup, and it is based on the design of the Gibson 498T. However, it has a few more turns of wire on its pickup bobbins, and thus it has a slightly higher output than a Gibson 498T. As a matter of fact, it is the highest output Alnico Magnet pickup in the Gibson family of humbucking pickups. Yes, there are hotter pickups made by Gibson, such as the Dirty Fingers Humbucker and the 500T, but these pickups are made with Ceramic Magnets, and thus they have a whole different type of tone and sound that is associated with them, as compared to the Angus Young Signature Humbucker, which is made using Alnico V Magnets.

As some of you who are reading this review might already know, adding more turns of wire to a pickup coil will make it “hotter,” but some high end frequencies are diminished and some midrange frequencies are accentuated, which can lead to a muddy sound. In order to compensate for this Gibson has chosen to use a hot Alnico V Magnet in the Angus Young Signature Humbucker. An Alnico V Magnet gives a brighter, sharper, more aggressive and attacking sound that an Alnico II Magnet, and this compensates for the potential muddiness that can potentially result from a pickup that is overwound. This makes for a high output pickup that accentuates the upper midrange and high end frequencies. The result is that the Angus Young Signature Humbucker is a high output humbucking pickup with a blend of modern and vintage qualities, and that makes it one of the best sounding pickups available today for modern and classic rock music.

The Angus Young Signature Humbucker Pickup is also double wax potted. Double wax potting ensures that there are no open nooks and crannies that can result in unwanted microphonics and harsh shrill feedback. This is especially important for a pickup that is apt to be subjected to the high pressure volumes that go along with playing loud and heavy rock music. The Gibson Angus Young Signature Humbucker also comes with 4 conductor wiring, which makes it easy to wire this pickup for any number of series/parallel/split-coil variations.

Latest posts

Back