Referring to an earlier post

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimpleMind

Reaction score
domct203 wrote for a short time ago the following: I had owned a Triple Recto for 5 yrs., and had a Stiletto Ace for about a month.

These are my personal opinions on the amps. I lean more towards the Modern Metal sound so I do prefer the Rectos.

The Stiletto is a totaly different amp, both tone wise and feel wise.

The Stiletto has more of a Marshall vibe to it. Very tight in the bottom end and not as low, very pronounced mids and highs, but not shrill or fizzy at all. Very much at home with Rock or 80's Metal.

The Stiletto has alot of gain, most likely more than the average player would need from this type of amp, but it's character (voicing) is totally different from a Recto.

The Recto has a hugh bottom end that can get overpowering if abused. It's much more Modern / Nu-Metal sounding in it's modern mode, but the vintage mode can be a sweet soupy treat with the Tube Rectifier.

The Recto has an over-abundance of gain, especially in modern mode. It can also get very fizzy sounding if your not careful, but it's sound is un-mistakable.

I can get the Recto to ALMOST sound like the Stiletto (but not feel the same) where as the Stiletto doesn't stand a chance sounding anything like a Recto.

Personally I prefer the Recto's. I have no problem covering 80's Metal in vintage, Rock in raw (w/ boost) and modern mode speaks for it's self.

Hope this helps,
Dom

So does that really mean that you can get almost every Stiletto sound from a Roadster but not vice versa?

Sorry but these two amps are apples and oranges... there's no way you're touching stiletto territory with a rectifier and vice versa, they're completely different ends of the sonic spectrum.

recto = midscooped, loose, huge sounding
stiletto = midfocused, tight, cutting/bright

Even when I ran my rectifier with EL34's it still wasn't the same voice as a stiletto.

Platypus said:
Sorry but these two amps are apples and oranges... there's no way you're touching stiletto territory with a rectifier and vice versa, they're completely different ends of the sonic spectrum.

recto = midscooped, loose, huge sounding
stiletto = midfocused, tight, cutting/bright

Even when I ran my rectifier with EL34's it still wasn't the same voice as a stiletto.

Hei, thanks for answering. Ok that means with the Stiletto you get a more tight, defined marshallesque sound which should allow one to play in the same ballpark as Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani. While Vai and Satriani should be imitable with the Roadster, the Malmsteen sound wouldn`t work, not even with a POD? Or with other words does one get a Stiletto/ Marshal sound with a Roadster and a POD?
Does the Stiletto on the other hand do Jerry Cantrell, Metallica or Korn?
Many questions i know, but as you can see i don`t really have a clue.

Ok.. first off, using a POD with an expensive tube amplifier of any brand really is kind of missing the point. Stick to good quality stomp boxes instead.

Second.. that's a huge list of artists each with their own signature playing style which is a huge part of the tone you hear. Gear only does so much, tone is in your hands. At any rate it's literally impossible to find an amp that does everything for you convincingly.

You can read stuff on the net and get caught in a trap of researching something when you really should go play both of them with your guitar and decide which one bonds with you more. I find amps like guitars in the sense that I can tell if I'm going to bond with an amp right away.

If you want a huge variety of tones, pick up some stomps and utilize your clean channel to use them on... but more importantly you need to find YOUR tone in an amplifier. It's fun to jam along to your guitar inspirations but you should be finding YOUR voice!

Back