Rectoverb vs Mark I : Need help to choose

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie78

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Marie and I'm from Quebec, Canada and no it's not 'cause I'm a chick that I like to play ballads !

My old fender deluxe reverb is dead, so I'm gonna buy a new amp soon and since I want a Mesa and that my budget is limited, I have 2 options, a Mesa Mark I reissue or a Mesa Rectoverb II 1x12 Combo...

The problem is that where I live they never have thoses amps in stock, so I need to order it without trying them. At first glance, the Recto seem a better option for me mostly because It's a 2 channel amp, but for me the most important thing is the sound...

Here's what I would like to know :

A) How is the clean sound on the Rectoverb ? I know that it's amazing on the Mark I and that it sound almost like a Fender Twin, but what about the Recto ?

B) Can you get a drive sound close to a Mark I or even a Mark IIC+ with the rectoverb ?

C) And what about the gain on the Mark I, Can it sound a bit like a Mark II or it's a totally different kind of sound ? Can it be punchy and brutal or Santana is the heaviest sound you can get out of this amp ?

D) It looks like the transformers on the recto are kind of small compared to the MKI, are they built to last ?

E) Are they noisy ? I have try a Marshall Plexi but you have to turn the volume all the way up to get that magic crunch, but the amp is so noisy at hi volume that it's almost useless, any noise problem with thoses amps at high volume ?

F) Can you get a nice Marshall Plexi style of crunch with thoses amps ? (Van Halen, Jimi hendrix, Led Zeppelin, GNR)

G) What would you choose and why ? I like many different band, but a good start would be David Gilmour kind of sound (bluesy, almost clean, but can scream when play hard) but I also like the classic rock sound VH, Led Zep, Slash, Hendrix and something some Tool and old metallica... My guitars are a Les Paul Std, A Strat and a Telecaster

Thanks guys !

Hi Marie, I own a Mark I Reissue, and it loves single coil especially! I don't have any experience w/ rectos. Mark I has 2 channels. Ch. 2 is voiced to the original Mark I and it's magical a la Santana. I almost exclusively use Ch. 2. Plus, since it has 60w/100w settings and the tweed (brown tone) switch allows for sagging the wattage for a sweeter, vintage tone.

And, when you switch it to 100 w full power, watch out. With a right pedals this little amp can play along side any powerhouse, metal amp. And, the 12" black shadow speaker produces tight, full tone. The single coil, especially allows for a beautiful break up tone.

Not to push it on you, but I am selling mine b/c I have a Rivera that I switch back and forth.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Hey I have owed both of these and traded them both in for a Stiletto Ace. which is the best amp I've ever heard.

Any way i went from a mark I RI to a rectoverb because of the 2 channels, and the mark didn't have quite enough distortion. But as far as pure tone the mark I wins, but is is really loud, and really touchy, and much harder to dial in esp if you switch from hi- to low gain. The recto has a tone more distortion but can be harsh and fizzy at times. My advise, save more cash and get an Ace they are magical, esp with the loop switched off.

Ed

These are my opinions of course. Both amps are cool but they may or may not fit what you want to do.

A. Clean is okay on the Rectoverb, I think the Mark I has a better clean.
B. No.
C. Santana, really. Even the IIC I had didn't get all that much gain compared to the IIC+ that's why I had mine upgraded.
D. Yes.
E. No, and you don't have to turn it up as loud as a Plexi to get dirty sounds because both amps are master volume amps.
F. You can get crunchy sounds but not like a Marshall, voiced differently.
G. For the bands you listed, I'd choose the Stiletto II. It's based on the Marshall/Brit EL34 sound. The Mark I and Rectoverb are more Santana/blues, and death metal even though you can get other tones out of them.

Stiletto Ace is a great amp, but IMO it's a bit high strung or produces very saturated and tight distortion, and not as versatile - meaning, it's more meant for a specific type of genre. Mark I, on the other hand, might not have the best natural, saturated distortion, but loves quality pedals. Tonal wise it's very pure.

Stiletto Ace is a great amp, but IMO it's a bit high strung or produces very saturated and tight distortion, and not as versatile - meaning, it's more meant for a specific type of genre. Mark I, on the other hand, might not have the best natural, saturated distortion, but loves quality pedals. Tonal wise it's very pure.

I would agree to a point, the clean on the ace with the loop off is as close as I've ever heard to the mark I, It doesn't seem to like pedals that much though, the distortion is definitely aimed and at the hard rock camp. But **** is it sweet.

My local shop has the Ace combo, and even with a very nice "discount" it's somehow not moving. I play it everytime I visit :lol: It's great fun and has a stake in certain genre, but not very versatile.

I have found two rectoverb combo sample on a french website...

Amp Rectoverb II 1x12 combo with stock speaker and 6L6

Can it really sound like that ? The clean on the first song is better then expected, and he got a very nice blues tone too...

What do you think? cCan you get that kind of sound with your rectoverb or it have been modified in studio?

Clean and Modern with gain at 5,5/6
http://storyabouttheclown.free.fr/mp3/TenderSurrender.mp3

Clean / Raw low gain / Vintage "california" setting
http://storyabouttheclown.free.fr/mp3/Rectoverb-Little-wing.mp3

That's it... as you can hear it's a little bassy, I found it a little hard to get a handle on it has a huge sound.

Ed

Awesome music clips!!! I love it. The first clip sounds a bit compressed, but so nice ~~~ Ed's right about being a bit bassy, but we're being picky here. Still, the overall tone could be more open, or breathe better - but, then that's the Mesa tone.

Do you know where can I find a chassis pic of the rectoverb. I have seen what it looks like in the MK1 and would like to see the guts of the recto. Have you ever seen such pictures ? Where ???
:D

I just purchased a Rectoverb 2 and am very happy with it. I had a chance to play just about all of the Mesas at my local guitar center and really loved the variety of great things the rectoverb does. All of the sales people felt this to be the best "do it all" amp in the price range. I really don't think you can go wrong. I love my amp and have not looked back.

My only regret is not hearing the new Express. You may want to add this to your list if your buying new. (And save some $$$)

One last thing, I'm playing mainly clean sounds on my ROV and love the tone. You'll get great cleans and a variety of great distortion from this amp.

Marie78 said:
Do you know the weight of the Rectoverb combo ?

Sorry, I dont know the exact weight but it is VERY heavy.I dont enjoy carrying it around at all. Im guessing around 50 pounds. (Recto 2 combo)

Just found it

Rectoverb 1x12 combo

Size :
H 20 1/2 x W 26 7/8 x D 11 3/4

Weight :

70 Lbs

What ? 70 Lbs, How can a girl lift that thing !?! :oops: I think I will need a man ! :D

70lbs...
and it's a tone machine...not the chimey lonestar cleans but a really good clean none-the-less.
It's biggest problem is that you have to be careful when using too much gain, channel master or treble....it can get out of control. Also, it really likes being turned up :)

Marie78 said:
Do you know the weight of the Rectoverb combo ?

I know lots of guys who play in Classic Rock cover bands and use Rectoverb II combos. They are very versatile.

I ran mine with JJ preamp tubes and Mesa EL34 power tubes. I really loved the amp, but had too many at the time and let it go to a friend.

The only thing that you may not like is the fact that the Reverb will be nowhere near as strong as your Deluxe Reverb was.

It's a good choice for a solid, all around great sounding amp. You definitely will want to go light on the Gain though, mine could go from Santana to Slayer in no time at all.

Back