Rectoverb Series I or Series II???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Rectoverb owners,

Do you prefer Series I or Series II for tone and features?

I used to own a Series II and loved it but hated the Reverb.

I have a chance to get a NOS Series I for $901 from a store that used to have a dealership, but don't know anything about them.

I've only ever played a series II. Although, I hear that some people prefer the series I, don't know why. If anyone likes v1 over v2, please comment! I've been wondering myself, since I'm on the market for a v2.

I own a v2 and have never played on a v1. I hear that v1 sound better, becuase less channels give a better definiion of that channel. Kind like the dual recto 2 or 3 channel idea.
But the v2 has the 6l6/el34 bias switch and a extra channel, but most important: I never verified it, but I heard that the v1 had a delay when switching between channels. Sounded like a volume swell. That seems really annoying to me. Again I never verified it.

I had the I and now own the II ...I get the delay on the Series II. It's a short dropout that would kill a solo act perfomer but is meaningless to what I do in a band situation.

As far as features, I never use the raw mode, although I might in the future. The reverb is better on the series II and the knobs are in front. You also have the ability to get individual 1/4" footswitchs for reverb, channel and boost. I'll try the El34 option someday

As far as the tone, I would swear that the series had a smoother tone but there are so many variables, in particular, age and type of tubes, that I'm not sure if I can qualify that statement.

My series I had non-working Presence in the clean and the reverb was non-existant. Plus the Solo feature didn't add volume. If all these things are resolved in the one you're looking at, $900 isn't bad, although you could probably get a series II off Ebay for only slightly more.

chennie said:
I own a v2 and have never played on a v1. I hear that v1 sound better, becuase less channels give a better definiion of that channel. Kind like the dual recto 2 or 3 channel idea.
But the v2 has the 6l6/el34 bias switch and a extra channel, but most important: I never verified it, but I heard that the v1 had a delay when switching between channels. Sounded like a volume swell. That seems really annoying to me. Again I never verified it.

I'm thinking that I could get a Tremoverb for a couple of hundred more than the ROV, but I know that some guys really swear by the ROV.

The only things that I saw that Mesa did to the Preamp Channels, was add more modes. This one doesn't have the "Raw," which I never used anyway. I really liked the Vintage & Modern settings though.

All the Modes do is switch in or out a couple of parts to change the overall Tone of the Channel. It's very simple to do. I don't think that it would take any clarity away from the amp. I definitely think the Raw is much less Smooth than the Vintage or Modern.

I haven't tried this one yet, the guy wants all of the money at once. Christmas killed me.

I don't really like the store anyway and may just forget it.

As for the Reverb, the knobs on this one are on the back, and the Reverb Tank is in the Chassis of all places. This would explain why there are no individual footswitch options, there is a Reverb Tank where the jacks would go.

The Tank is also much smaller than the Series II's Tank. This would explain the better Reverb. The circuit is exactly the same in both.

I would most likely install a Tube Reverb circuit instead so that I could have deep lush Reverb. Why use it if it doesn't sound good.

Back