Rectoverb series 1 question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRazMeister

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to Mesa and just picked up an older ROV 1 in great condition. I'm still fooling around with settings and getting used to the "Mesa" flavors. Overall I'm loving the richness of tone but have run into one disturbing issue (at least for me). I have a very agressive picking attack and I hear the percussive sound of the pick loud and clear through the amp. Sort of a thump, thump type tone. If I play anything fast it sounds like a helicopter. The notes still ring and sing but the undertone of the pick sound is getting on my nerves. I notice the noise on other amps but nowhere near as pronouced.
Settings: Vintage - Gain 1:30, Treble 2:00, Mid 8:00, Bass 12:30. Presence: 12:00.
Also point out that the sound is MUCH more evident when playing in the upper registers (12th fret and higher)
Any help would be appreciated...

Check to see that your strings are not making contact with the bridge p'up when you pick hard. Your Mesa has ample bass and volume to make up for anything you lose by lowering the p'ups.

What about your pics? I actually like that sound your describing, I use Dunlop Tortex or Ultex pics for that scratchy attack. Have you tried the modern mode on the amp? The vintage can be a little more scratchy sounding.

The vintage can be a little more scratchy sounding.

I would think it would be the other way around with the modern channel making that even more pronounced. I know what he's talking about, because I noticed it as well. For some passages I like the picking sound, other times I would prefer it to go away. What you might need to do is grab a parametric (a graphic mic get you there but not sure on it since mines a para) And make a nice little boost and sweep through your upper mids to find where the picking becomes most pronounced and then turn the curver around and notch it out. presto, tone pretty much preserved and that little frequency band dip takes care of the pick sound.

I have the carl martin parametric eq pedal. Best thing for my tone besides the amp. Haven't tried it with the rectoverb yet.

jbird said:
What about your pics? I actually like that sound your describing, I use Dunlop Tortex or Ultex pics for that scratchy attack. Have you tried the modern mode on the amp? The vintage can be a little more scratchy sounding.

I use the little Dunlop Jazz III..very stiff little buggers. My nephew said the same thing about liking the sound. He compared it to Petrucci (I wish lol!) when he gets going. especially on the G3 stuff with Satch and Vai.

I haven't tried the modern mode yet for some reason, I'll give that a shot. I may try backing the pickup down although I like the agressiveness of the EMG's up close to the strings

BTW, I'm starting to really like the ROV, are other Boogie's this good? What I like best is that I have more than enough gain in vintage mode at 1:00. I back off the PU to get a cleaner sound for chords and pull my volume down to 1-2 to get a bouncy/clean almost country sound (neck PU).

were you playing through a nice tube amp before?

Because I notice you mentioned you are using EMGs, and this is a common characteristic of those pickups ( I love em though ).

And yes, other Mesas are as nice as the rectoverb, just differently voiced.
I cant say Ive found many I didnt like. Im not a big fan of the stiletto, but considering what it was designed to be (the opposite of my taste) that wasnt much of a suprise. I play mostly metal, but I even found myself falling in love with the clean sounds of the Lonestar.

Now to get my hands on that elusive MkIIC+...

no soul said:
were you playing through a nice tube amp before?

Because I notice you mentioned you are using EMGs, and this is a common characteristic of those pickups ( I love em though ).

And yes, other Mesas are as nice as the rectoverb, just differently voiced.
I cant say Ive found many I didnt like. Im not a big fan of the stiletto, but considering what it was designed to be (the opposite of my taste) that wasnt much of a suprise. I play mostly metal, but I even found myself falling in love with the clean sounds of the Lonestar.

Now to get my hands on that elusive MkIIC+...

I temporarily had a Crate Class A 30 watt combo which was actually very nice and a Vox AD60VTX valvetronix modeling amp which will surprise you with its tone and incredible versatility. The Vox broke and the Crate didn't have enough gain, more of a ZZ Top type overdrive and was a simple clean/dirty setup with shared EQ. All this led me to the ROV. My other choice was a Marshall TSL122 (too expensive) TSL601 (something just not right), Koch twintone (jury still out although nice sounding), F-50 which the salesman couldn't work and the Nomad 45 combo that the Koch blew away. PS - the reason I bought the Recto is that it was the sound I predominantly played on the VOX !!

Im gonna go ahead and attribute the sound you are talking about to the EMGs then. Playing arround with the EQ a bit can dial this effect out.

You made a wise choice though, well Koch amps are very nice. Its the only amp PRS uses for referencing and demoing their guitars and pickups.

Latest posts

Back