Rectoverb or LSS 1x12 combo???????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
If you had to choose between these 2 fine amps, which would you choose?

I'm selling my Mark IV and looking for a replacement, so here is how I look at it......

Lonestar:
Much better cleans
great reverb
lead channel is ok
delay between channel switching on reverb (not a plus)

Rectoverb:
good cleans
terrible reverb
great lead channel

We play mostly classic rock and bluesy crap. My friend calls it "Drunk Rock" although I'm usually sober.

My theory is leaning toward the Lonestar because I can always add a pedal to get better distortion, but there isn't a Fender Twin pedal that can get me great cleans.

I've been using my Blue Angel a lot lately and it sounds great, but I like the options that the Lonestar offers. Different wattage settings, different reverb settings, 2 channels, and the real kicker....SOLO boost.

What do you guys think?

I personally don;t need distorted sounds directly from the amp, which the Recto I demo'd had in abundance. I like the LSS better for my application which soulds a lot like your application. I would PREFER a LSC.

But, I am looking for either a Tremo or DC-5 ... heavy leanings to the DC-5.

The DC-5 is a great amp. I currently have a DC-3 & a DC-10. I would probably have to sell the DC-3 if I got a Lonestar, but that's not really a big deal.

I'm leaning toward selling the DC-3, and the Blue Angel and getting the Lonestar, but I really love the Recto crunch as well.

It's too bad that there isn't a version of the Lonestar that has a Recto lead channel. I had the Roadster, but it was too much. I found that I only used channels 1 & 4 and not 2 & 3. Why have them if you don't use them?

That's how I feel about the Mark IV too. I just couldn't find a use for R2.

My drummer is loud, but the DC-3 and Blue Angel keep up with her just fine, so I don't really need a large amp, just some incredible cleans and a distortion tone that can be built on.

As long as the amp takes pedals well, I will be happy. I have a Fulldrive II and a Fat Boost, so I can add as much distortion as needed. I don't know if I can get that Recto tone out of it though. It's really nice to have that much crunch at times.

This is my opinion for what it's worth...

I am a little confused as to your reasoning for getting rid off your MKIV for either of these amps. I've played through both of these amps quite a bit and the MKIV in my opinion beats up on these two in most areas. The recto will get the fizzy sound with the low bottom end that the MKIV wont get but it's lead channel is not even close to a MKIV lead in my opinion. The LSC is a lower high gain amp when compared to either the rectoverb or the MKIV. The amp I think blows away both the rectoverb or the LSS (and even the MKIV) for what you're describing as your style is the LSC. That amp is the closest amp Mesa has to the old vintage blackface Fenders and the overdrive while not high gain can be attained with a BB pre-amp pedal nicely. But even with a pedal it won't touch the MKIV for lead work as if get a little mushy for high gain work compared to a MKIV. You might want to try out a Stiletto as well but if your thinking rectoverb as it has a more classic sound but is still aggressive. I owned a 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb that had the amazing vintage Fender clean and the Lonestar Classic was as good or better and then went beyond with the high gain. The LSC in my opinion was a far nicer sounding amp than the LSS. The LSS was muddy sounding. Also with the Classic you can throw in the EL34's to get the edge similar to a LSS if you like. For classic rock and blues imho the Stiletto and the LSC are the top Mesas. Also you might want to try some of the other discontinued Boogies like the Heartbreaker, Nomad45, etc. Just my 2 cents worth.

I know what you mean about the MKIV's R2 Crunch... Mushy/flubby.... It is really only world class in Lead in my opinion. LSC kills it for cleans and Stiletto Kills it for R2 and the Stiletto Lead is pretty close to a MKIV lead. I'm going to Stiletto route soon....

Okay...you have a few older Boogies so you don't need to know what they can do. ;)

I see what you're saying about the LSC, but I am also torn between the EL-84 and 6L6 tones. I love both of them.

I was thinking about saving my DC-10 for the 6L6 high gain. Or, I could keep the DC-3 and sell the DC-10 and get an LSC.

I have a customer who was thinking about trading his 6 month old LSS for a Schecter PT, Schecter Jazz Bass and a Crate V3112 that we have in our store. This is why I was leaning toward the LSS.

I also have a Blackface Pro Reverb, so I'm not too worried about that.

I'm basically looking for a lower powered small amp that I can carry with 1 hand. Rectoverb is a little much for 1 hand, but I'm still young enough. :D

The LSC has plenty of lead gain if you
1)use a hot humbucker
2) engage the drive switch
3) choose "thicker"
4) turn the treble to 3:00

If you set any of these variables different, the gain gets cut dramatically.

Decisions ... I hear ya on the weight thing. I also worry about my tubes packing my combo around... Easier to protect them with a nice small head. Hmmmm If you already have the other amps and you can get a used LSS I'd go with that.... you can always sell it and not lose much or anything if it doesn't work for you. The guitars will have a huge impact on the sound as well... pretty subjective subject.

I always find these post very amusing due to the fact that taste in amps is very subjective. The MkIV people will swear buy their amps, the lonestar folks will rave about the Lonestar etc... Different people buy different amps...

Can you go listen to both? This is by far the best way to make a decision. Play them both ! Decide what YOU like.

I'm a Rectoverb owner and spent many days at guitar center playing differnt boogie amps. I loved the Lonestar, Stilletto, Roadking etc..and spent much time with all of them. When I left with the ROV, I knew I had chosen the right amp. It is perfect for me.

As far as Reverb goes, it's really not as bad as many make it out to be. If it annoys you that much, there are great reverb pedals. You can have your cake. (lead channel) and eat it too (reverb). The RoV will cover a lot of great sounds.

I'm a Rectoverb owner and spent many days at guitar center playing differnt boogie amps

:lol: I live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest Boogie dealer on either side of me is about 200 miles away.

I don't want a new one either.

The ROV reverb sucks. I had one, series 2. I absolutely loved the amp, but had 5 amps and did not have room for it at the time.

Using a pedal for the reverb seems a bit strange to me. If I decide to go with the ROV, I will build a tube reverb circuit in it and bypass the solid state one.

I do agree that it will cover a bunch of different sounds and that it is a great amp.

I can't imagine anyone selling a Blue Angel! :oops:

NOTHING will do what she'll do......

Best of luck.

Murph.

Yeah, I know. Plus, I will loose my *** on it since they are not worth much. I paid $850 + shipping a year ago and then re-tubed it.

Now the 1x12's go for about $650 - $750, what a shame.

It's too bad that Mesa didn't make a Lonestar with the power amp section of the Blue Angel. That would be something really sweet.

I'm selling my RoV for $800 + shipping. It has a brand new set of tubes in it.
Any interest in trading the Blue Angel for the RoV?
Bill

I've been preaching that for months.

The LSS should have had a clean channel, and cha ching, they would have had all the bases covered on an EL84 amp.

Randall Smith just doesn't like non master channel amps, I guess. Hell, he'll build amps with 4 channels, but non are "normal", clean, crank it yerself channels. I've never understood that. You get every option you could dream of, orange, bold, spongy, fat, thick, juicy, whatever......

But not "NORMAL".........

Weird, eh?

Monsta-Tone said:
I'm a Rectoverb owner and spent many days at guitar center playing differnt boogie amps

:lol: I live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest Boogie dealer on either side of me is about 200 miles away.

I don't want a new one either.

The ROV reverb sucks. I had one, series 2. I absolutely loved the amp, but had 5 amps and did not have room for it at the time.

Using a pedal for the reverb seems a bit strange to me. If I decide to go with the ROV, I will build a tube reverb circuit in it and bypass the solid state one.

I do agree that it will cover a bunch of different sounds and that it is a great amp.

Well, the fact that you've owned one and are considering buying one back says a lot. I loved the Lonestar and If I could have both I would enjoy many of the sounds the Lonstar had--GREAT low rent blues sounds that I just can't match with my RoV. But if I had to chose only one amp (I did) it would be the RoV without any doubt.

It's funny my brother (guitarist) came to visit and the first thing he did was crank up the reverb all the way. I keep it low (9:00-10:00 on the dial) and really have no complaints. Are you a reverb cranker? Your idea of adding a reverb sounds like win/win to me

I don't really crank the reverb, but I love thick reverb tones.

I have a Blackface Pro Reverb and the Blue Angel's reverb is very similar. It is thick and rich and full.

The ROV reverb seemed to really be lacking in the reverb department.

I only like it on cleans though. I don't really like it on lead or distorted tones. It seems to take some of the oooommmmpppphhhh out of it.

Back