Rectoverb clean channel...FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a screen resistor out the amp is only running on one power tube, so the maximum power is a quarter of what it should be (not half) and above extremely low volume the waveform is half chopped off.

That would definitely give you very low headroom and bad-sounding breakup. It would apply to both channels but you may notice it more as a problem on the clean channel unless you were cranking the dirty channel up, when it would not have much power - and also sound worse than it should.

estring said:
Heres where I'm at. The tech thinks its a failed grid screen resistor caused by a tube failure.
Funny thing, as soon as he played the amp he said..."well, that sounds like ***!!!"

More to come!!!

Good to hear there may be an answer.... and I don't mean it's good that you have to repair and spend $. Anyway, it seems you're on the right track. Things you learn...... I would never have guessed.

Problem Fixed!!!!!
So, a screen grid resistor overheated and "fell" out of the circuit boards. This was caused by a faulty 6L6 tube that failed.
He fixed both screen grid resistors and put in a "tightly" matched(as he put it) duet of JJ 6L6's.

The amp sounds incredible. The cleans are awesome. Chimey, full and round just like the 6L6 clean I love.
The gain is completely useful around the clock..both on the pushed setting and in Channel 2.

Pushed mode with gain about 90% and the Master down...Good God is that creamy!!!!

Off to band practice...my guys are going to ****!!!

Thanks for all your insights!!!!

John

Latest posts

Back