Recto vs SLO

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I've always read about how the original Dual Recto's preamp was 'inspired by' the SLO preamp.

Just wondering how close the two amps actually sound.

(Long story short, I've been listening to a lot of Gov't Mule)

The SLO's tightness is beyond what the 2 Channel Recto can do in stock form. And from what I remember, the SLO was a little bit more crunchy and fluid sounding than the Recto as well. But tone-wise, the are in the same ballparks.

It's been a few years since I got to record with one otherwise I am sure I could offer more info!

So the SLO is actually tighter than the Recto?

I've been listening to songs off Dose and it sounded kind of loose in a vintage sort of way. Not sure if that's due to his beeing a modded SLO or what.

Like I said, its been a few years, but I remember the SLO being pretty tight. Don't know if the SLO has ever changed in design, but the one I played was one of the first 200 or so ever made.

But looking on YouTube, you are right. They don't seem super tight. Hmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4nZ1NIS54U

The SLO that I heard was truly badass. A Rev. C Recto and SLO shootout would be awesome. Same guitar, speaker cab, and player, PLEASE!!!!!!!! Anything else is open to speculation.

JOEY B. said:
The SLO that I heard was truly badass. A Rev. C Recto and SLO shootout would be awesome. Same guitar, speaker cab, and player, PLEASE!!!!!!!! Anything else is open to speculation.

Dialing Boogiebabies...

I remember falling in love with the SLO tone the first time I saw Jimmies Chicken Shack play live. The combination PRS/SLO is the most distinct tone I have ever heard... and to this day, I have still never heard an amp that comes close to it.

That being said, **** spending $3800 on a two channel amp.

echoes420 said:
I remember falling in love with the SLO tone the first time I saw Jimmies Chicken Shack play live. The combination PRS/SLO is the most distinct tone I have ever heard... and to this day, I have still never heard an amp that comes close to it.

That being said, f%&# spending $3800 on a two channel amp.

No ****.

I was looking at the Avenger for a bit, but from what I've read the SLO gets some sort of special transformer that the other Soldano's don't have.

Went through the same thing when I had my Dual, and I was looking for another amp. The Recto can sound like the distant third cousin of the SLO, and from everything I have read/been told, Mesa did borrow a bit (or a lot) depending on who you talk to. The biggest difference was in playability, and that's where the SLO came in for the big win. Plugged straight in amp was everything it was hyped out to be. Tight, Woody, great response to guitar volume, and great note separation. Down side is +4 loop, and sounds a bit dated, not for Nu Metal IMO. If you have the money (Which I was about a grand short) get one and don't look back.

I would say the main difference tone wise is that the SLO is very focused in the upper mids while the Recto has its midrange focused in the lower mids. The recto seems to have more low end to it than the SLO, but I would say that they have about the same tightness in the low end. However there is a mod that can be ordered by Mike that tightens up the low end quite a bit on the SLO. Both amps are based on the old Marshall 2203 circuit with an extra gain stage (or if it's two gain stages), and a slightly different tone stack.

I've had both a 2 channel recto and a SLO and they don't sound that equal, but sure there in the same ball park so to say... The SLO is great for the 90's hard rock/metal kind of tones like Skid Roy, Motley Crue and so on while the Recto is a little more modern (did anyone say NU-metal) soundwise. I do love them both and I use my Roadster (which sound pretty close to the 2 ch recto i had) in the death metal band I play with and the SLO with my other band which has a more of an old school progressive metal kind of vibe to it.

My Single Rec is gone... But still have the SLO.

I am no pro, just a weekend player of about 25 years. I tried every Soldano I could find for a span of a year. Never found the same dynamic in other Soldano amps. The DeYoung trannys have something to do with it IMO and the opinion of the various shops I hit. SLO is absolutely a loud playing amp or don't get one. The MV needs to be past 3 for the amp to breathe and hit that SOL famous grindy growl. It sounds OK at bedroom practice levels but IMO you need a big room and some volume. At volume there is more pop or roundness in the notes (not too compressed like modern hi-gain Rivera). Did not find that same lack of compression on my Rec, your Rec may differ a little. The SLO loves to be cranked loud as hell. IMO the power tube distortion works well on the SLO, MV at 6 is where it gets really crazy good, need a large venue or iso-cab. My experience with the Rec when MV cranked 3/4 full is that the power tube section distorting was not good, seems to my ears it is a preamp distortion amp. Good clean and cranked type of non-MV amp tones to be had.

Would not say they are real close. The Rec I had was a more grainy distortion. Like comparing 60Hz to 400Hz on an oscilloscope, very tiny graduations between wave peaks. Tighter and smoother, more Mark Series in that one regard. I think it covers great Marhall based tones and does great bluesy cleans/grit. Goes great with a strat and working the volume knob a bit. The Rec could be worked like that a bit, but the voice of the amp was more toward pissed off metal to my ears. It would do it, but the voicing of the amp was not what I was used to hearing or wanted my playing to sound like.

The SLO is a strong midrange amp designed to be played loud as hell without being scooped. It will make you cut thru a mix very well. It is not an unforgiving amp, you will just be heard more clearly. It is too expensive to just buy over a GAS attack. I would play one for a while to see if you really want it. It is called a one trick pony unfairly. One trick gutar players call it a one trick amp. It just does the crunch and leads so well, you may not ever want to do anything else with it for a while.

Cool.

I've calmed down my gas attack. The price had a lot to do with it. I had a hard time justifying $3800 on an amp when I'd probably only ever use the one channel.

I would like to try one some day, but then again... maybe I shouldn't. :lol:

Posting that last bit got me inspired to play a bit. My Rec is gone and was replaced by a Rivera Knuck Tre, just a bit more modern metal but still same family of heavy stuff. I hit the Knuck and SLO for a few hours.

This is what I heard this morning. Dial down the bass to 0, and dial in 1/4 depth for a low mid push (depth factory mod added) and have the mid up 1/4 and presence and treble on 8 out of 10 and it has a gnarly edge that is a little Recto-esque. Not a Rec but same almost fizz pissed off tone, ESP w/EMG's used. For Sh!ts and grins I also plugged in my old SG with the same tone settings just to see how it went. The X2N bridge pup was ultra tight and focused. Will file that away for future reference.

So I was wrong at first, it does catch a little Rec vibe, but not enough to think you will get an SLO and not need your Rec if that is your tone base. The SLO does not like to be scooped to my ears. It just sound wrong?? Like putting mud tires on your Vette? Rivera on the other hand is a blend of the Rec and Roadster. Anyway, I am choosy mother about tone. SLO is the perfect shred/metal amp. It is an OK Rectifier but not the best use of the money. Now if you have a Wampler Triple Wreck pedal in front of that SLO..... you have an awesome rig!!

I find it to be amazing at just how similar the circuits are between the 2 ch rec and slo. For the preamps, it's just between the first and second tube stages that the major differences are, and that goes for the Framus Cobra too, except it's eq. $3800 is pretty ridiculous, but the Avenger with the built in depth knob seems like the real deal. I've never tried a SLO, but I've tried the hot rod without depth, and the rec utterly and mercilessly destroyed it.

JOEY B. said:

get me an SLO here in L.A. and i can do it.

I've already got a lot schedule for this weekend...

Diezel Herbert
Diezel VH4
Marshall JCM800KK
Marshall Vintage Modern
Mesa 3ch. Recto (if I still have it)
Mesa 2ch Recto, a Pre-500 model
Mesa Mark V
Splawn Quickrod
Jet City JCA100H
Hughes and Kettner Trilogy

Back