Recto-verb Reverb stopped working - need help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkm

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a first time poster, so be kind !

I've noticed the reverb on my Rectoverb amp (unsure if its 1st or 2nd generation - how do I tell ?) has stopped working. I've taken the reverb tank out, and can't seem to find any disconnected wires (I've looked pretty closely!).

When I tap on the reverb unit, I can hear the "spring" sound, but once it stops, its just clean. So I'm assuming the output works, but don't know how to test the input (I've replaced the input cable with another RCA cable, but still nothing)

Also, I contacted MESA and they said that there are no tubes powering the reverb.

So my questions are:
- how do I know if any cables in the reverb tank are broken - are they minuscule or should they be obvious ?
- how do I test the input cable ?
- I've read that something at the transistor inside the amp could have come undone - any comments/advice ?
- any input on how to use on ohm meter to test the cables/connectors ? What reading should I be looking for ?

I know I'm asking some pretty technical stuff without giving a whole lot of info, but any help would be appreciated !
Thanks, and let me know.
Cheers.
jkm

Wow I just registered to ask these same questions. The reverb on my unit is dead as well and I have no way of telling if it's a series I or II. I wonder if this is a coincidence or a defect on other ones?

The amp works ok on everything else and sounds great but it kinda sucks not having reverb. I got so used to it with my other amps :cry:

Series II has reverb knob on front of the amp instead of the back.

Check both connections to the tank and on the underside of the chassis as well. There is no reverb tube so nothing to check there. Remove the tank from the amp and out of the pouch and make sure the springs are still attached on both ends of the tank too. I've heard of them coming disconnected and once reconnected the reverb will work. If all else fails just order a new tank - it's very inexpensive. There is a part number stamped on the top of the tank. Make sure to order the new one (from Accutronics) with the exact same part number!

Just so you know - the amp will function just fine without the reverb tank installed and/or connected...

HTH

Thanks for the info.

I was hoping to not have to buy a new reverb tank, as I'm pretty handy so figured it wouldn't be anything a quick solder couldn't fix.

I'll keep plugging away, and if it gets to be too much, I'll check out Accutronics.
thanks again.

Back