Recto-verb clean channel sounds "pushed"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pig Muffin

Reaction score
Hi all,

Went to use the clean channel for the first time in a month, and noticed that there is some light gain on the channel. I have always had the gain knob set to where it still stayed clean but this is obvious different sound.

Channel two is bangin pretty hard and sounds good, its just the clean has a little issue. I am assuming it is a preamp tube going bad, so which one effects the clean channel, and a recommendation on a "better than stock tube'? I dont use clean to much but would like something a little better if not to expensive.

V1 affects on the gain, so look at that preamp position first. Swap a tube to that position and see if that fixes your problem. You could try a 5751 in V1; it has 30% less gain than a 12AX7 and is a direct compatible replacement. Sovtek has a new 5751 but I haven't tried it.

I've got a Tungsol 5751LP in V1 that I bought second hand and it sounds good. There's still heaps of gain on the dirty channel; Rectos have plenty to begin with. I also have a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the PI (phase inverter) position that sounds good. Others use a 12AT7 which they swear by. As for brands, it'***** and miss as it's subjective. Buy a couple of different brands to test.

Buy a few preamp tubes. It's good to have spares anyway.

ok new issue with clean channel -

the channel doesnt have the light distorted sound now it is just super quiet. With the output at 11 o'clock and the gain on the clean at about 9 o'clock the you can barely hear the sound but it is no where close to being heard with the band.

Channel 2 on the amp is performing as good as a mesa should, no issues.

Latest posts

Back