Recto users! Silicone Diodes or Vacuum Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tube recto all the way, hardly EVER use the diode.

I play all kinds of stuff, the tube rectifier feels way better, the diode is way too brash and has no give.

Platypus said:
Tube recto all the way, hardly EVER use the diode.

I play all kinds of stuff, the tube rectifier feels way better, the diode is way too brash and has no give.

I agree one jillion percent :) Folks say to use the diode to keep things tight but it's tight enough with the tube rectifier, volume high and bass lower. tight and HUGE sounding.

mJ

Im a fan of the tube rectifier for the compression it brings to the notes. I used the Diodes for a while because I was having trouble hearing myself but ultimatly I went back to the Tube setting and changed my B-M-T settings to compensate. Some players are going for that jagged sound and they want to bring out that harsh edgyness so they play the diodes--sometimes I like it...but sometimes not.. :?: :?

I have been switching back and fourth between the two. The Diode has it uses. For me its tube all the way, sounds best, and has just the right amount of everything.
I used to use the diode because it fixed my sloppy hands, but I fixed my problem. Its nice to have the option though. :D

As for what I play. I play alot of different music Death, Iced Earth, Megadeth, Metallica, Opeth, Immortal, alot of old school classics, hair metal stuff t o o :oops:

Tube Recto for me too.

Although, I'm totally bummed. I just bought the Roadster and it hasn't arrived yet. I read the manual today and it said that the tube is only available in the 50 watt settings. What moron thought this was a good idea?

I just tried a Tremoverb a couple of weeks ago with the distortion channel set to Vintage & Tube Recto. It sounded enormous. I'm going to have to talk to Mesa and see if there is a way around this.

Koprofag said:
I love not having to choose. ;D

Well said! 8)

I play all styles of rock, pop and metal. I play a lot of fast material and I like the SS rectifier in my Solo fifty head. At the volume levels where I generally lurk (peeling the bark off of oak trees) the power tubes and speakers are intensely engaged and I get an attack which pleases me a great deal.

Nothing against tube rectifiers! Quite the contrary. There are many applications which just wouldn't be the same without their use. That's where the Fender Deluxe Reverb and the Blue Angel have their moments in the spotlight for me.

M

+1 ^^^^^ on that. the classic coke bottle tubes will eliminate your need for the diodes, IMO, plus add so much good tone.

Monsta-Tone said:
Tube Recto for me too.

Although, I'm totally bummed. I just bought the Roadster and it hasn't arrived yet. I read the manual today and it said that the tube is only available in the 50 watt settings. What moron thought this was a good idea?

I just tried a Tremoverb a couple of weeks ago with the distortion channel set to Vintage & Tube Recto. It sounded enormous. I'm going to have to talk to Mesa and see if there is a way around this.

I own a roadster so see my two cents worth in this thread
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=6240

However, I have a hard time getting tight bass in any mode...could be th 4x12 Std cab though. :(

I spoke with Chris at Mesa yesterday afternoon.

He said that there is no tube rectifier when in 100 watt mode. What brain surgeon thought this up?

Maybe I presented the question wrong, but I specifically asked this:

"Is there a mod that will allow me to use the tube rectifiers in 100 watt mode?"

He replied, "No, but there should be no 'Tonal' difference that you will notice."

If I weren't a Mesa tech, I would have taken great offense to this. I know what my next project is now. :D There has to be a very simple way to convert it.

It does grate me intensely that Mesa would not listen to their customers. Nobody buys a Rectifer amp and leaves it in Solid State Diode mode forever. There are just too many posibillities.

I haven't received mine yet, so I don't know for sure. I will definitely test it out though. If there is a noticeable volume difference, maybe the manual is wrong and their customer support is misinformed. Here's hoping.

Monsta-Tone said:
I spoke with Chris at Mesa yesterday afternoon.

He said that there is no tube rectifier when in 100 watt mode. What brain surgeon thought this up?

Maybe I presented the question wrong, but I specifically asked this:

"Is there a mod that will allow me to use the tube rectifiers in 100 watt mode?"

He replied, "No, but there should be no 'Tonal' difference that you will notice."

If I weren't a Mesa tech, I would have taken great offense to this. I know what my next project is now. :D There has to be a very simple way to convert it.

It does grate me intensely that Mesa would not listen to their customers. Nobody buys a Rectifer amp and leaves it in Solid State Diode mode forever. There are just too many posibillities.

I haven't received mine yet, so I don't know for sure. I will definitely test it out though. If there is a noticeable volume difference, maybe the manual is wrong and their customer support is misinformed. Here's hoping.

funny considering they call them the dual rectifier for their ability to choose, but then they take away that option

Y'all are confused. Stop spreading FUD. Maybe they updated it recently but this is what it says in the Roadster manual from Mesas site about Recto Tracking:

"For example, if you are using either 2 x 6L6 and you choose Recto Tracking, 1 x 5U4G will be applied. If you use 4 x 6L6, 2 x 5U4G will be used."

4 x 6L6 = 100 watts

Silicon Diodes/Bold for my sound, but I use the Tube Rectos to get older Marshall sounds and the EVH thing going whenever i want to play it. I just don't use that live though, beacase emulating a Marshall is not something I want to do, I bought a Mesa to sound like a Mesa haha. That's just me though. I can get anything i want out of this puppy, and that makes me EXTREMELY satisfied.

-AJH

Not that it makes any difference since we know the manual is incorrect, but here is an excerpt from page-13 of the Roadster manual found at the link below.

"RECTO TUBE-TRACKING: Engages the 5U4 rectifi er tube automatically whenever the 50 watt selection is made via a Channel
Power Select switch. When switching channels - if the Channel Power Select is set to 100 watts, the Diodes are automatically
engaged to insure proper matching to the added load on the supply. This innovative feature allows you to tune each channel for the
ultimate power expression and feel."

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Roadster.pdf

Back