Recto Recording preamp 117 volts in AUS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venaleschatology

Reaction score
Im importing a Recto preamp from American to Australia and naturally it power supply is rated at 117volts 60Hz. The volts i can get an adapter for to go up too 240. But i need 50Hz at 240v. Does anyone know how i could do this cheaply?

Frequency is not a problem really. A cheaper solution would be grabbing a "step down transformer" with a few hundred watts of capacity and you re good. I sticked triaxis and recto pre into a 1000W transformer and have been using for months with no issues. I guess I payed around 40$ US for a local brand.

kullaniciadi said:
Frequency is not a problem really. A cheaper solution would be grabbing a "step down transformer" with a few hundred watts of capacity and you re good. I sticked triaxis and recto pre into a 1000W transformer and have been using for months with no issues. I guess I payed around 40$ US for a local brand.

Would i get away with a 50watt transformer, its only a preamp. Are you doing this in Australia?

V!N said:
Congratulations on getting the Recto !

If I were you, I'd stick an aftermarket mains transformer in there for only € 129,00 / Aus $ 195,00. Then you always have the correct voltage and no worries about you or somebody else accidentally hooking it up without an adapter connected and frying it.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=1055

Wow thank man, thats exactly what i need. I'll prob buy that when i have the cash. This forum is simultaneously wicked cool and super mega happy fun awesome.

hi there,i dont think a 50 watt step down is enough...you need bigger..
say 300 watts..
I plug in my quad pre & mesa amp switcher with 800watts stepdown transformer..No problem.Why not get the recto pre 220-240v tranny from mesa?

Hmm to get a step down that big would cost me. May as well spend a little extra and get a mesa transformer. It'd just be easier. Thanks for the help guys.

venaleschatology said:
kullaniciadi said:

Would i get away with a 50watt transformer, its only a preamp. Are you doing this in Australia?

No I m doing it in Istanbul, with 220V. Of course it s way more better if you change the tranny but having a step down around can be handy some times :)

get the 250W stepdown from Jaycar electronics.
the recto pre is rated at 117watts so you need a transformer that is equal or above that.

Hello venaleschatology,

I have 2 USA Pre-amps. I'm for Australia Also

Here the facts to purchase the correct Step down Transformer.

I have a Triaxis, I use a 100watt Step down Transformer.

Preamps do not require a lot of power.

It goes like this,

Amps x Volts = watts, Plus 20 - 25% extra. Or if you have the VA rating.

I just did a quick search it's 1amp.

So that's 1amp x 117 = a minimum of 117 plus a little extra.

150watts Step down is what you need.

I suggest you check out this site.

https://www.tortech.com.au/index.php?productID=121

I hope that helps,

Gezza.

I bought a step-down transformer for arouns $250. I could do some research but it was some place in Sydney.

I got Guitar World (Gold Coast) to replace my transformer for me. It was $800. They said the Mesa ones would cost twice as much as that.

Latest posts

Back