Recto Pre,50/50 what next?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venaleschatology

Reaction score
Like I said I have a recto pre, which is just brilliant, and 50/50. Im also purchasing a sonic maximiser. I'd like to complete the rack with one unit that carries out a number of different tasks.
I want:
-Some sort of preamp/modeler to do a different dirty sound to the recto. Something a bit more Jcm 800. And a few other things for accurate covers
-Reverb
-Eq
-Tuner
-preferably an analogue amp controller, but i can get around that. I'd prefer not to have to buy another piece of equiptment to control it all.

I have a G-major at the moment but as you probably all know it doesnt do any pre amp modelling. It also freezes alot so G major is off the list (Im selling it for AU$499 on ebay).

I was thinking Lexicom Mpx G2 especially because I could have pre and post distortion eq and a nice list of models in one rack space. What are your opinions on this unit? POD Pro?

All fellow boogieites opinions/advice welcome.

Pod XT Pro. I have no idea how the Rec Pre would work in the Pod's fx loop, which is how I imagine you'd need to set it up.

Your life will be easier if you can find those other tones you like via an o/d pedal.

Iif money and rack size are no object just buy a JMP-1 and A/B them , then run their outs into an eq and reverb unit. That will pretty much go "close enough" on 90 per cent of the rock guitar tones played on the radio between 1989 and 2007... ;)

How much have you messed around with the Raw and Brit modes, especially using kind of non-intuitive EQ settings (like rolling the bass almost or all the way off), or hitting them with a clean boost or o/d pedal? There's really a surprising amount of "non-Recto" tones there.

off topic-- how do you like that Traynor? I have used the YCV80s a fair bit and they seemed like great amps for the money. Not very loud for 80 watt tube amps, though.

CoG said:
Pod XT Pro. I have no idea how the Rec Pre would work in the Pod's fx loop, which is how I imagine you'd need to set it up.

Your life will be easier if you can find those other tones you like via an o/d pedal.

Iif money and rack size are no object just buy a JMP-1 and A/B them , then run their outs into an eq and reverb unit. That will pretty much go "close enough" on 90 per cent of the rock guitar tones played on the radio between 1989 and 2007... ;)

How much have you messed around with the Raw and Brit modes, especially using kind of non-intuitive EQ settings (like rolling the bass almost or all the way off), or hitting them with a clean boost or o/d pedal? There's really a surprising amount of "non-Recto" tones there.

off topic-- how do you like that Traynor? I have used the YCV80s a fair bit and they seemed like great amps for the money. Not very loud for 80 watt tube amps, though.

Money and rack space is an issue. Although I do hope to get a jmp-1 sometime down the track, I think I would rarely use both in a live setting mostly cos of weight. On that topic does anyone know how I would run both preamps into the one poweramp at a minium cost. Could I just use a double adapter?

I havent done alot with the brit setting but the raw I like. Rolling off the bass is a good idea but it still doesnt change the distinctive mesa distortion. The OD pedals might warrant another try, i havent had much luck with combining them with the recto pre thus far though. They all sound very lackluster and solid state when directly compared with the rectos own distortion. But i might look more into combining them. Thanks

I love my traynor. Its so versaitile and it has lovely cleans. With an eq pedal in the loop and the gain maxed out +boost on, you can almost get a passable recto tone. Its supposed to beequivalent to the Fender hotrod series, which it shits all over, especially with its independant tone controls. Its over drive is so much more usable. Volume? Seem loud enough for a 40 watt amp, although the clean channel doesnt have alot of headroom.

I'd add a good quality stereo 31 band EQ. One channel would be used before the preamp and one channel after (assuming mono output from the Recto Pre). The tonal possibilities would be amazing - even better if it is programmable. One of these years I'll add that to my rig for use with the Recto Pre but for now the new RK will be the center of attention.

123thefirst said:
I'd add a good quality stereo 31 band EQ. One channel would be used before the preamp and one channel after (assuming mono output from the Recto Pre). The tonal possibilities would be amazing - even better if it is programmable. One of these years I'll add that to my rig for use with the Recto Pre but for now the new RK will be the center of attention.

+1, any suggestion for a good quality EQ?

Yeah I'd love to get a dual programable eq. They seem a bit hard to come by though. By the by, I just bought a Pod pro cos it was cheap, so I spose i'll see if that fixes my affects problems. No eq though. It seems companies and alot of guitarists underestimate the importance of a good eq= annoying.

Is there any point in running the recto pre out in stereo? The two channels do seem a little different. But i am having a problem with it at the moment. I would have thought the outputs are supposed to be identical.

I was going to start a new thread on this to get more attention but may as well try here first. One of the channels (from memory, the right ch) is coughing volume. That is to say that it oscialates between very loud and very quiet, once every second or so. It only seems to happen every now and then. It only seems to happen on the live outputs. The only thing i've done to try an fix it other than the standard lead changes is to swap the live output valves but i dont recall it having any affect. Ideas?

I haven't tried theirs but Rane generally makes top quality stuff for a reasonable price. Look in the Sweetwater Sound catalog. I remember seeing a number of nice, including programmable, units there. They don't usually sell equipment that doesn't measure up.

venaleschatology said:
Is there any point in running the recto pre out in stereo? The two channels do seem a little different. But i am having a problem with it at the moment. I would have thought the outputs are supposed to be identical.

Well, with tubes you'll get a bit of non-linear gain behavior, so especially at low settings the channels won't match perfectly. That's a benefit maybe.

venaleschatology said:
I was going to start a new thread on this to get more attention but may as well try here first. One of the channels (from memory, the right ch) is coughing volume. That is to say that it oscialates between very loud and very quiet, once every second or so. It only seems to happen every now and then. It only seems to happen on the live outputs. The only thing i've done to try an fix it other than the standard lead changes is to swap the live output valves but i dont recall it having any affect. Ideas?

My Pre acts very strangely sometimes too. It will suddenly start getting much louder then oscillate then switch to quieter thereafter. I've changed all of the tubes so that's not likely the cause. Could be some type of shorting in the inductors maybe or something causing a warming/expansion of some component that shorts out.

I can say I have never had that problem.

Are you guys trying to run the live/record outs at the same time? I rarely do that, maybe there's a connection. I also generally run the output very low because otherwise I get clipping further up the chain.

I've also still got stock tubes in it.

Here are some ideas. I actually use my pod pro to control everything with the floor board with one step. My Pod pro, Triaxis and Dual Rectifier 2 channel head. By hooking a midi cable from the pod pro to the Triaxis and plugging a 1/4 inch cable from the dual rectifier channel switch plug on the back, to 1 of the 4 switch jacks on the Triaxis. Now I can choose to activate the effects loop if I want to hear the Pod and it's effects, which is only 10 percent of the time for the delay swell effect. The Pod pro is in the Triaxis' effects loop, and I have the loop turned off most of the time for pure MARK sounds. The Pod pro will always switch all units even if I don't have the loop activated on Triaxis. Makes set up quick!!

With this set up you can do anything!!
Use the tuner on the pod,
switch all 3 units with one step.
Mix/blend Mark IIc+ sounds with Dual Rectifier sounds at the same time( with the Switchbone a/b/y switch and 2 4x12 cabs)
Or clean and distortion at the same time,
Change channels on the Dual Rectifier with each patch on the Triaxis
I also have an Ernie ball volume pedal to control the mix of the Dual rectifier and the Cabinet it is going to and for silent tuning.

With this I get all the great tones with no effects most of the time, unless I want them. To bypass the Pod Pro's amp models (not the pod xt) and use only it's effects for a pure sound, make a patch with the TUBE PREAMP that is like a bypass, turn everything to 12 o clock. They suggest this in the Pod manual. Hope this helps, I have been really excited about how smart my equipment is and I don't need to buy any extra stuff like the Vodoo Lab Ground Control units. This saved me alot of money and set up time!!

The Alesis EQ 230 looks ideal. It has 2 independently programmable channels with 50 memory slots. It's reasonably priced and has a nice interface which displays the programmed curve and lets you modify it (as far as I can tell) And it takes up only 1 rack slot.

Then again I think I'd prefer having sliders, but then you lose the display and reprogrammability.

ibanezgtr said:
Here are some ideas. I actually use my pod pro to control everything with the floor board with one step. My Pod pro, Triaxis and Dual Rectifier 2 channel head. By hooking a midi cable from the pod pro to the Triaxis and plugging a 1/4 inch cable from the dual rectifier channel switch plug on the back, to 1 of the 4 switch jacks on the Triaxis. Now I can choose to activate the effects loop if I want to hear the Pod and it's effects, which is only 10 percent of the time for the delay swell effect. The Pod pro is in the Triaxis' effects loop, and I have the loop turned off most of the time for pure MARK sounds. The Pod pro will always switch all units even if I don't have the loop activated on Triaxis. Makes set up quick!!

With this set up you can do anything!!
Use the tuner on the pod,
switch all 3 units with one step.
Mix/blend Mark IIc+ sounds with Dual Rectifier sounds at the same time( with the Switchbone a/b/y switch and 2 4x12 cabs)
Or clean and distortion at the same time,
Change channels on the Dual Rectifier with each patch on the Triaxis
I also have an Ernie ball volume pedal to control the mix of the Dual rectifier and the Cabinet it is going to and for silent tuning.

With this I get all the great tones with no effects most of the time, unless I want them. To bypass the Pod Pro's amp models (not the pod xt) and use only it's effects for a pure sound, make a patch with the TUBE PREAMP that is like a bypass, turn everything to 12 o clock. They suggest this in the Pod manual. Hope this helps, I have been really excited about how smart my equipment is and I don't need to buy any extra stuff like the Vodoo Lab Ground Control units. This saved me alot of money and set up time!!

Thanks alot, that was really helpful. I just bought a pod pro so im def ganna try out a similar setup and probably with one of those alesis eq's in there somewhere.

123thefirst said:
The Alesis EQ 230 looks ideal. It has 2 independently programmable channels with 50 memory slots. It's reasonably priced and has a nice interface which displays the programmed curve and lets you modify it (as far as I can tell) And it takes up only 1 rack slot.

Then again I think I'd prefer having sliders, but then you lose the display and reprogrammability.

Thats pretty much perfect. thanks alot.

I've gotta say im constantly impressed by the helpfulness and the depth of knowledge available on this forum. Thanks guys.

Great let me know if you have any questions. Here is where I got some great ideas to hook up the Pod Pro with the Triaxis.

http://insaneguitar.com/col/joel/Joel24.html

Latest posts

Back