Recto Harshness Revisited!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Ever since day one, I have found the recto to be an amazing amp, but there has always been a slight harshness that accompanies the tone...

With time, I have gotten it better and better....

I now have a great tone everywhere but infront of the cab....WAY too harsh standing infront....WAY too harsh....

I have worked to dial this out without end, but I CAN'T....

Here are my settings:
Channel 3 Modern
JJ 6L6GCs and GZ-34s (stock preamp)
Presense: 10 o'clock
Gain: 12
Bass: 10:30
Mids: 11:30-1:30
Treble: 1:30

This is at ALL volumes btw....

Have tried multiple guitars...happens with all of them, so pickups aren't really the problem here....cables are all high quality....

I'm beginning to question the JJ power tubes...maybe this is their drawback?

Or maybe it's the preamp?

Thanks for all the help!

The harshness that you're referring to is a problem with ALL speakers. Check out Beam Blockers or just put some duct tape in front of the center of your speakers and it'll distribute the highs more evenly and sound better. SRV did this actually with his Fender amps.

+Mike+

Same experience here! There is a drastic difference in tone standing directly in front of my std 4x12 opposed to standing to the side. It's not bad, just different with a lot more treble/presence...sometimes this is a good thing for me depending on what i'm playing and my settings. I find myself moving around alot until I find the sweet spot. It probably would not be as noticeable from a greater distance.

The exact same thing is happening to be also. I just practiced with both of the bands I play in tonight and I wanted to try some tape for now, but didn't have time. To me, you eq is pretty much what I have mine at. I've heard good thing about beam blockers also, but I'll try tape before spending money.

Dude it's not the Recto, it's just a fact of life unfortunately. I couldn't believe how smooth the Recto sounded and how little harshness I experienced when I first bought it. Try standing infront of your cab with a Marshall plugged in, it will rip your face off (not in a good way!). It's just the way speakers are, seriously, i would never consider the Recto a harsh sounding amp. Quite the opposite actually.

If the guy who's recording you knows his stuff then the harshness won't come through on recordings or through mics. If the mic is set dead center of the speaker it'll get that harshness. Off center is where the tone's at.

+Mike+

here's some rules of thumb...

Highs are very directional. Getting off axis just a bit makes a huge difference. the higher the frequency, the more directional they become.

Highs originate from the middle of the speaker

Highs are easily stopped and tamed

Probably what's killing your ears is in the 2KHz range

don't kill them with EQ, just redirect them.

Has anyone tried using little patches on duck tape over the grill in the middle of the speakers?

I'd like to use this temporarily, but does it actually do anything?

phantomlord2oo said:
The harshness that you're referring to is a problem with ALL speakers. Check out Beam Blockers or just put some duct tape in front of the center of your speakers and it'll distribute the highs more evenly and sound better. SRV did this actually with his Fender amps.

+Mike+

I've curious about this type of sound diffusion. I'm about to try it with duct tape -- couldn't do it tonight, but soon, as in tomorrow. Phantomlord, have you tried either of the two concepts?

Latest posts

Back