Recto cab Problem. Recto/Roadster/RoadKing uses help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrobattery

Reaction score
So the last two amps I've had have been giving me some trouble. Both with the Framus Cobra I sold and my new Roadster I'm finding that the amp rumbles so much that it's actually knocking the 1/4" speaker cable out of the back of the cab. Has anyone else had this problem? I know planet waves makes instrument cables that "lock" into your guitar. Do they make speaker cables that do the same thing?

Nitrobattery said:
So the last two amps I've had have been giving me some trouble. Both with the Framus Cobra I sold and my new Roadster I'm finding that the amp rumbles so much that it's actually knocking the 1/4" speaker cable out of the back of the cab. Has anyone else had this problem? I know planet waves makes instrument cables that "lock" into your guitar. Do they make speaker cables that do the same thing?

its a recto cab?? how loud are you playing?? even when playing too loud ive never had that happen.... is the jack loose on the cab?? what kind of cable.... i highly recommend the planet wave speaker cables.... they hold really well

i know bands like killswitch engage and lamb of god were having this problem with their framus amps. i'm playing fairly loud, but nothing over the top. master volume on 10, channel volume on 3 1/2 or 4. it's happened with a few different speaker cables. i have a planet waves 25' cable that i'll try tonight and see if it still happens. if not, i'll just get a little 3' version.

I've seriously never even heard of this happening before...

I would be inclined to think that if this happened with two of your amps, your cable's tip is somehow misshapen, or something...

Speaker cable should just about never come out unless you're pulling it out of the jack with force.

I'd just buy a new cable, personally.

In all of my years gigging huge venues at insanely high volume I have NEVER had anything like that happen. That just sounds strange.

I never had a problem like that. Is there some friction felt when plugging into the cab? Maybe you plugged and unplugged so many time you worn the jack out? You could bend that contact on the jack (inside the cab) up some to lock onto the tip of the cable more? Hopefully that PW cable works for you, that seems like a pain in the A$$.

It's weird, I've had the cab for years and have never had this problem...but I know other bands have run into the same problem. This never happened with my Rectos, Mark IV, TriAxis, ENGL or DC-5...but with the Roadster and Cobra it's been happening a lot.

Open the back of the cab and inspect the inside. Ensure that nothing has come loose. There is a center block and two pieces of wood on the bottom toward the back (at least on my cab there was) that the bottom feet or casters come up through. In my cab the wood had spilt or my speakers had loosened over time and I believe this caused a vibration. While your in there hand tighten all of the screws holding the speakers in. Tighten them in a star pattern to ensure that you are applying even pressure on the speaker as you tighten them. Do not over tighten them as you could crack the wood.

This solved my problem.

Good Luck

Back