Rectifiers and Modelers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coop21

Reaction score
Just like several others on this board, I was inspired to look into Mesa Rectifiers by the tone of the Rectifier amp model on my Line 6. It took some time for me to learn to dial in the real deal, and in almost every way I like the tube amp much better. There is one thing though that I still prefer on the modeling amp. The modeling amp is just easier to play. I find that the modeler is more forgiving. The notes are easier to hit and I get more sustain. This has always bugged me and I thought that I still needed to work on finding the right settings or maybe even a different tube amp. Then I read this on another thread.

Here is a quote from TheRazMeister on another thread:

“1st, tube overdrive and SS distortion are 2 different things. The SS amp will feel easier to play because of the compression that occurs when the gain is turned up. It's the same with my Tonelab modeler. Notes fly off the fretboard when I use the TLab. What you get with tube amps is a more natural sounding "gain" that will be slightly harder to work with but will sound better. It just requires more effort.”

I agree with TheRazMeister on this. Now I am not ready to go back to modelers because I am hooked on the tones I get from tubes. For what it’s worth, it has forced me to be a better player, which is a good thing.

So for those of you that own or have owned modeling amps, have you noticed the same thing?

I have a rectoverb50. I also own a gnx3 that had a recto model. The gnx recto sounds pretty darn close to the real thing if using headphones(i usually play with headphones at home. If I am learning a song i send it through the gnx and hear it through the headphones too),but i have tried using it in a band situation and it will not cut it. The gnx recto can't seem to cut through the rest of the band.

As for being easier to play with the gnx recto, I agree it is for some reason. When I prcatice with the GNX recto I have all other effects turned off and just use the model. That way when I go play the real thing(meaning my real recto) it is easier than the GNX.

That is funny. The other day I was getting really ticked off when I was playing my Road King. The strings seemed stiff. Notes don't "fly off the fretboard". It takes a while to get the sustain out, but it's more controlling. When I go to play the rectifier mode on my Vamp its so much easier to play. No stiff stings! Notes fly all over the place. The sustain on the other hand is awful, no control.

Overall... I love the tone of tubes, it's also changing the way I play. I thought I was fast on the guitar playing with my SS distortion. Now playing through a tube amp...I seem a little slow. :x

MetalMatt, don't feel bad, I added another part to the equation by getting a Les Paul standard with 10's. My guitar (from the 80's) is a Guild X-88 (star-shaped speed machine). Easily the fastest neck I've ever played. I went to an Ibanez Artist (AR2000) with a slim prestige neck...A little more difficult but much more tone...then lately, the Les Paul...I might as well be wearing gloves :lol: ...but man what a sound! Anyways, I still have all 3 guitars and switch back and forth to keep my sanity. 8)

MetalMatt said:
That is funny. The other day I was getting really ticked off when I was playing my Road King. The strings seemed stiff. Notes don't "fly off the fretboard". It takes a while to get the sustain out, but it's more controlling. When I go to play the rectifier mode on my Vamp its so much easier to play. No stiff stings! Notes fly all over the place. The sustain on the other hand is awful, no control.

Overall... I love the tone of tubes, it's also changing the way I play. I thought I was fast on the guitar playing with my SS distortion. Now playing through a tube amp...I seem a little slow. :x

Increased mids can give the feel of stiffer strings! Being the Rectifier has been tagged with a "scooped, nu-metal tone", this is what a lot of modelers will model! On two modelers I've had, none represents the real interaction of tone controls found on my Dual!

jbird said:
Increased mids can give the feel of stiffer strings! Being the Rectifier has been tagged with a "scooped, nu-metal tone", this is what a lot of modelers will model! On two modelers I've had, none represents the real interaction of tone controls found on my Dual!

I totally agree here, now that I've owned my Mesa for a while and know how the tone controls react, it seems the Line 6 stuff doesn't act the same way.

Latest posts

Back