Rectifier Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blinkie

Reaction score
Hello ta ya all.

I have a Dual Rectifier with the stock tubes and I'd like to know if changing my tubes with other brand ones should make a huge difference on my sound (for better of course). IF so wich brand should I use? Should I change the preamp or the poweramp tubes ? Or both?

Thanxs 4 the repplys.

I have played around with both preamp, power amp and rectifier tubes. The Mesa LSC seems to be most sensitive to the V1 preamp tube. Since most Mesa use the same basic design, I'd expect that with the others. The preamp tubes are also the least expensive of the bunch and you don't need to worry about biasing.

I have tried the stock Mesa 12AX7, a Phillips JAN 12AT7, a JJ ECC83S and a EH 12AX7EH. Right now I like the EH (electro harmonix) best. It has a very clear tone that seems balanced up and down all the frequencies. I am thinking of making in investment in a NOS 12AX7 just to see.

It is interesting. I thought the EH was a little too bright for the clean channel and decided to go back to the JJ I had been running. I was re-read the manual for the first time in months and decided to play with Thickness switch. It seemed to have a buzz in the crunch channel so I swapped to the EH and the tone just got bery big and deep. The bottom seemed to hold together much better and take on a better character. Think of some closer to Marshall JCM800 type sonics.

I have found this one position tube to be the most important in the whole chain.

But is there such a difference that justifies me buying other brand tubes ?
IF so wich brand should I pick?

How bout the power amp valves ? Can't they really change the sound as well?
And in your opinion wich power amp valves ya like the most ? EL34 or 6L6 ?

All Mesa tubes are relabled from other manufacturers. The Mesa "russian 2" 12ax7 that comes with most of their amps are relabled EH tubes. Make sure you know what it is you already have before replacing it with the same thing. :wink:

Back