Rectifier Mids

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moby1

Reaction score
More and more I push up the mids on rectifier (vintage, modern settings), especially to achieve cutting lead tones.

1 o'clock - 3 o'clock lately...depending on how i feel and how load I play.

Noticed the sample settings in the manual never seem to go about say 11'oclock and the description is anything over 11 makes strings more resistent.

Why?

Moby1 said:
More and more I push up the mids on rectifier (vintage, modern settings), especially to achieve cutting lead tones.

1 o'clock - 3 o'clock lately...depending on how i feel and how load I play.

Noticed the sample settings in the manual never seem to go about say 11'oclock and the description is anything over 11 makes strings more resistent.

Why?

The strings "feel" more resistant because the sound gets "filled in" and is a lot more immediate. I couldn't really tell you why that happens, but I know that it happens. I'm sure you've noticed it.

For what its worth, I have my mids at 5 o'clock on all four channels. I wouldn't have it any other way.

b0nkersx said:
For what its worth, I have my mids at 5 o'clock on all four channels. I wouldn't have it any other way.

****! And I thought I was pushing it with my mids at noon with EL34's!!

Not to thread hi-jack, but Mikey which EL34's are you using again? I just went from 6L6's to Winged C EL34's and am not looking back! WAY better than the brittle EH EL34's I have used in the past!

Right now I have JJ KT77s in my Dual. I used to use JJ E34Ls, but bought these on a whim and I'm pretty happy with them also.

I haven't tried the Winged Cs yet, but I have my eye on them for my next retube. I'm getting a Stiletto tomorrow, so I may have to buy some to put in it.

I know you should set up with your ears rather than your eyes, hence why i'm edging up the mids all the time. just seemed that all the settings I see for rectifiers seem really 'scooped' (perhaps it relates to it's 'stereotype')

I play rock/80's Metal, Still trying to achieve a nice solos channel.

Pushing the mids ups seems to help (contrary to the fact pushing the mids up reduces that compressed feel)

Also bypassed the loop

Started to push the gain up too past say 2 o'clock (only for leads) ...Is this a cardinal sin?

Cheers

I have my mids on Vintage settings always passed 3 o'clock. It's 4 o'clock on my lead setting. Just sounds better that way, and isn't as scoeeped.

I keep my mids around 2 oclock and my gain around 3 oclock latley on my roadking. Honestly dont always listen to what everyone says about where to keep the gain set, it just depends on what you like. I like the compressed rectifier sound, if i want the low gain clarity I would use a lower gain amp (like my stiletto or my JCM800 2203) but when i am playing heavy I love that over compressed rectifier sound.

My settings. ch4 set to modern/bold with diode and loop bypassed I am running into a rectifier oversized straight or a traditional at louder volumes both.
Gain 3 Oclock
Treble 2 Oclock
Bass 12 oclock
middle 2 oclock
Presense 11 oclock

Moby1 said:
I know you should set up with your ears rather than your eyes, hence why i'm edging up the mids all the time. just seemed that all the settings I see for rectifiers seem really 'scooped' (perhaps it relates to it's 'stereotype')

I play rock/80's Metal, Still trying to achieve a nice solos channel.

Pushing the mids ups seems to help (contrary to the fact pushing the mids up reduces that compressed feel)

Also bypassed the loop

Started to push the gain up too past say 2 o'clock (only for leads) ...Is this a cardinal sin?

Cheers

Thanks for your replies, all good stuff.

I know its Apples & Oranges but I love the feel of my lead channel on my Marshall JVM, compressed, fizzy and harmonically rich. (seems easy to play on)

Was trying to get closer to that for leads as generally I love my Roadking for everything else!!

So extra Mids, loop bypassed, 3 o'clock gain, CH3 vintage with tube rectification seems to help.... +Keeley TS9

Thanks again

Moby1 said:
Thanks for your replies, all good stuff.

I know its Apples & Oranges but I love the feel of my lead channel on my Marshall JVM, compressed, fizzy and harmonically rich. (seems easy to play on)

Was trying to get closer to that for leads as generally I love my Roadking for everything else!!

So extra Mids, loop bypassed, 3 o'clock gain, CH3 vintage with tube rectification seems to help.... +Keeley TS9

Thanks again

My favorite lead tone in the amp is this:

Ch2 Brit mode, diode, 2 el34s, bold, loop bypassed
treble, mid, bass, and gain all dimed (5 o'clock)
presence off (7 o'clock)

You have to get the master at 9-10 o'clock, but once you do, it really opens up.

Good observation with the whole more resistance thing. I don't know about the manual for the rectos, but for the Expresses it states exactly what you noticed. Past noon with the mids, the amp becomes more resistant. I read that just the other day and decided to turn the mids down on my Express, and ****. I previously had them dimed, now I have them at noon and the difference is huge, especially on the recordings. With dimed mids the chords don't sound nearly as detailed. The mids fill it out too much. When you turn them down you can hear every note in the chords, even with a lot of gain. Plus, the power tube distortion seems a lot more apparent. Didn't realize that I was totally EQing with my eyes.

Back