Rectifier 4X12 cab sounds loose?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasFM3

Reaction score
Brothers,

I have had a rectifier traditional 4x12 cab since 2004. I also have a rectifier 2x12 cab that has less use on it as my 4x12 is my goto badboy. Seems the 4x12 is sounding a bit jello like these days and I have this weird problem that when I fret the 5th fret on my guitar that frequency causes the whole cab to belch or fart or what ever the sound is... It just sounds f@ckin weird. Could this be the result of a blown speaker. I mean I have had speakers blow in the past but none have sounded like this. The cab sound just seems like it is not so tight as when I first got it. I have switch to the 2X12 cause it is tight and still somewhat new. Any insight or recommendations on what to check?

FM3

Have you taken anything apart on it lately? Maybe just an air leak. Have a buddy play through the cab while you look and feel around it for a leaky seal. Jack plate, back panel, speakers, etc.

thanks for the response... I will do that... I have not taken anything apart on it. I will check for any leaks. If there is a leak, what would be suggested. Is this an easy fix that I can do myself or is this something that I should have handled by a amp shop?

FM3

Usually the cabs are seales with a pliable weatherstripping type material. If you're mechanically inclined then go to Home Depot and see what they have on the shelf.

DR's are pretyy bass heavy. One aspect of routine cab maintenance is to go in and retighten the speakers. This will cause the farting noise your hearing. About once a year I'd go in and tighten mine down. I'd usually find that they were a turn to a turn and to a turn and a half loose. ALso recommend that you try some lock tight. Willing to be to dollars to donuts that this is your issue.

If loose, tighten in star pattern so your cranking the speaker back down evenly. DOn't over tighten. Youcould bend the speaker frame or crack the wood.

clutch71 said:
DR's are pretyy bass heavy. One aspect of routine cab maintenance is to go in and retighten the speakers. This will cause the farting noise your hearing. About once a year I'd go in and tighten mine down. I'd usually find that they were a turn to a turn and to a turn and a half loose. ALso recommend that you try some lock tight. Willing to be to dollars to donuts that this is your issue.

If loose, tighten in star pattern so your cranking the speaker back down evenly. DOn't over tighten. Youcould bend the speaker frame or crack the wood.

Good idea. I've started to notice a similar problem with my Recto cab. I'll have to do this.

mikey383 said:
clutch71 said:

Good idea. I've started to notice a similar problem with my Recto cab. I'll have to do this.

My brother and I noticed this several years ago and thought it was the head due the flubby/farty nature. Took it apart and all was well. I took it apart because I had thought I tear in a speaker so I took each out to inspect. Noticed how loose they were when taking them of. Put them all back in and had tightened them down and it sounded like a new cab. Put 2 and 2 together since the cab sounded better then ever. Next time it happened about a year later, tightened everything back down and all was well.

TexasFM3 said:
Brothers,

I have had a rectifier traditional 4x12 cab since 2004. I also have a rectifier 2x12 cab that has less use on it as my 4x12 is my goto badboy. Seems the 4x12 is sounding a bit jello like these days and I have this weird problem that when I fret the 5th fret on my guitar that frequency causes the whole cab to belch or fart or what ever the sound is... It just sounds f@ckin weird. Could this be the result of a blown speaker. I mean I have had speakers blow in the past but none have sounded like this. The cab sound just seems like it is not so tight as when I first got it. I have switch to the 2X12 cause it is tight and still somewhat new. Any insight or recommendations on what to check?

FM3

Great thread. I have the same problem with my 4x12 Recto cab especially with one particular guitar and on the clean channel. I guess that combination of tones, volume and notes sets the farting/buzzing off.

I suspected something was loose or not sealed fully but now thanks to all the great replies I'm 99.99% sure that's all it is. I was fearing trashed speaker.

The problem never happened until I pulled it apart so what you guys are saying makes total sense. And yeah, it's easy to over tighten (done that with other cabs) and ruined the wood.

Why did I pull apart my perfectly good cab? I was thinking of making a half-open backboard for it to replace the fully closed one. During the experimenting, with no back whatsoever, I noticed the cleans were much better (more sparkly, interesting and "spongy") but the crunch / "rectum frier" aspect was definitely diluted.

Back